Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 29th May 2011, 07:17 PM   #121
malibujeff is offline malibujeff  United States
diyAudio Member

Steve,
Those look very nice. Great work. Enjoy!
Old 29th May 2011, 07:47 PM   #122
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build Log
Nice Steve. Chris choose a similar veneer for the FH3 we are currently doing.

dave
Old 30th May 2011, 04:58 PM   #123
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Steve,

What are you using for damping? Can you share some pictures of the stuffing?

Thx, Zia
Old 30th May 2011, 05:37 PM   #124
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Nice Steve. Chris choose a similar veneer for the FH3 we are currently doing.

dave

well the supplier shipped the wrong product twice, so it's not exactly a true ribbon-grain, but will be fine

takes longer to apply the veneer and inlay solid edging for chamfers than to assemble the cabinets (discounting glue drying )

stained that nice dark port colour with lacquer finish to follow in the next couple of days

BTW folks, if you're planning on burying your magnets for grilles, do it before assembling the boxes -it that was fun jigging up on the drill press - found yet another way to use "carpenter" app in my iPhone

Dave took some photos of an assembly mock up of the FH3 a week or so ago, including damping schemes for different drivers. In his spare time, he'll probably get around to updating the FH site or the vendor's thread here.

nudge - nudge

Last edited by chrisb; 30th May 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 30th May 2011, 06:29 PM   #125
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work Steve. Chris, have you ever used 1" thick ceiling tiles to line the box. Would this eliminate need for stuffing?
Old 30th May 2011, 06:57 PM   #126
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Nice work Steve. Chris, have you ever used 1" thick ceiling tiles to line the box.
nope
Quote:
Would this eliminate need for stuffing?
my intuition is that neither standard Fibreglass, or the cellulose fiber based that I've seen would be quite right, but it couldn't hurt to experiment - provided it's accessible to replace
Old 30th May 2011, 07:10 PM   #127
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
takes longer to apply the veneer and inlay solid edging for chamfers than to assemble the cabinets (discounting glue drying)
And less time to assemble than to pack for shipping.

Quote:
In his spare time
Spare time? Teaser attached.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flat-pak-bitsS.jpg (15.1 KB, 447 views)
Old 30th May 2011, 10:02 PM   #128
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lining boxes can remove the requirement for stuffing, but it depends on the box in question & its alignment. In the case of the Pencils, which are a TL variation in terms of their approaching ~flat impedance, the stuffing is needed.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:06 PM   #129
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott for the specifics. I am still thoroughly enjoying my Pensils. For an easy introduction into FR enclosures, it sure does sound good. Building an F3 with a little more power to see hoe they sound together. Sorry for the hijack!
Old 31st May 2011, 01:21 AM   #130
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments guys, it was a fun and rewarding project.

Zia, I'm using a touch over 1.5lbs per cabinet of genuine Poly-fil. I ended up going to a local hobby store and snatching some up about 6lbs for right over $13 USD. Steal of a deal compared to online stores selling it for much more per pound.

Chrisb, Fortunately I don't foresee the need for speaker grills on these cabinets due to the limited amount of people I have over, as well as the strict rules my girlfriend understands about my listening room. Plus I absolutely love the copper/gold-ish color of the cones.

The speakers sure do sound great and I think I got the amount of stuffing spot on so I'll permanently seal them up in a couple of days. I think my amplifier and this speaker combination work real well together, providing a nice smooth and relaxing sound. Though, I plan to step it up a bit to the higher end of amplification and see what kind of detail I can really pull out of these things. I'm also using the absolute worst rca's available to man kind (the free generic ones you get with new equipment) so that may be a slight limiting factor in regards to getting more of a sharpness in detail and presentation.

Overall, everything just sounds 'right' no shouting vocals, nice smooth warm sound that's very inviting and non-fatiguing.

Cheers,
Steven

Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build LogHide this!Advertise here!