• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Super Pensil 12 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

The Super Pensil 12 is my second FR DIY build and I (hope) I am near completion.

All the pieces have been cut and need to put the box together - but looks like that itself will have only after 7-10 days...In the meantime I would welcome some advice on the front baffle holes for the drivers. Flushmounting is becoming a bigger challenge than I had anticipated...:h_ache:

I don't own a router myself and tracked down a workship with a handheld unit. Strangely it looks like not many people here use this very usefull tool...!:eek:

Long story short, my expereince with the router guys was sub-optimal and probably I will have to make the front baffle pieces again. It will not be a total waste of good plyboard hopefully, as I intend to salvage some of the remaining portions for an upcoming Castle Micro-tower build.

I have small children and the younger one loves touching drivers... so I need to put grilles on the Super Pensils!

So with the new baffles I am thinking of solving 2 problems with 1 solution...

1. Mount the Alp 12 without any rebate - this will result in roughly 10 mm sticking out

2. Take a 10-12 mm thickness MDF piece and create a 208mm hole for the Alp 12 driver frame.

3. Fix the acoustic grille cloth on top of the MDF - so that becomes my speaker grille

4. Fix this grill using neodymium magnets or other means to the speaker cab

That way I skip the risky business with the router.... also get my flush mount... and maybe a decent looking acoustic grille.

Questions that come to mind:

1. Any pitfalls you see in this approach?
2. The flush-mount I get through this will behave sonically same as if I were to mount the drivers in the rebate?
3. Since the grille cloth is only 1-2 mm from the driver frame, do I need to worry about any effects of excursion?

All suggestions/inputs will be appreciated :).

-Zia

I can't give any advice to the router issue as I'm going to be building my first set soon but congrats on a good choice of speakers/cabs! I'm going to be ordering my ALP12's on Friday and will be building the SupePensil12's too :) Looking forward to seeing how you figure this out and how the end result comes to be!

Scott

Questions that come to mind:

2. The flush-mount I get through this will behave sonically same as if I were to mount the drivers in the rebate? (YES)
3. Since the grille cloth is only 1-2 mm from the driver frame, do I need to worry about any effects of excursion? (Assuming the surround is below the frame, place a straight edge across the frame and measure the depth to the surround, subtract the spec excursion from the measured clearance, if you do not have a few mm for safety, make the grill board thicker than 12mm.)
1. Possible problems, the gril board may vibrate against the cabinet or the magnets, possible solution use a pice if felt covering the cabinet behind the grill board. A piece of felt from the scrap box measures 0.030-inch, including some compression likely from the neo magnets, just use more magnets to account for the reduction in magnetic field strength from the neos having a 0.030 gap to the flat head metal in te back of the grill plate, experiment needed, check K & J Magnetics web site for a calculator)

All suggestions/inputs will be appreciated : (see above) ...regards, Michael

-Zia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.