• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

I've built enough of these Fonken things to note that the ease of build progresses inversely from left to right in above image - actually the three rectangular boxes are probably about equal - the solid images don't fully display the internal details on the left hand pair -

Cutting the second bevel on side panels of the trapezoid versions is the most "fun" part - it's a lot easier to draw something like this than to actual built it with standard materials . And yes, even if you have more clamps than you need, sometimes there's only room for 4 or 5 at one glue-up on the smaller boxes.

3D printing, or Dave's favorite fantasy of carbon fibre by nano-bots in a vacuum is another story

don't get him started, chris :D

hi Dave,
I've been trying to email you but it just comes up as "email" and tries to open up an email account on my computer that doesn't exist. I use the internet as my email, i.e. gmail.com..

Is there a way to contact you? I'm interested in a pair of Mark Audio 10p that are enabled. I would also like to purchase the miniOnken plans for the 10p. Thanks,

Eric

I have seen it suggested that the 10in Lii Audio drivers (datasheet for the ones I have attached) would be well suited to an Onken project - a not so mini variant of the Planet 10 miniOnken designs;

I've played with this calculator;

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

and it all looks good with an overall calculated SPL of 93.6 (dB 1W/1mtr) (which my only concern because of the flea-power amps I currently use). The bottom end -3dB point is calculated to be at around 30Hz.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Lii Audio Fast-10 #1.jpg
    Lii Audio Fast-10 #1.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 719
  • Lii Audio Fast-10 #2.jpg
    Lii Audio Fast-10 #2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 732
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It looks like that is so.

400 litres, F6 & F10 both in the low 20s (F3 is meaningless to humans)

But it can be squeezed into a smaller box:
300 liters F6/F10 still in th elow 20s
250 liters, F6 drifting into the higher 20s
200 liters, F6 now in the upper 20s, a bit more midbass punch
150 liters F6 into the low 30s, F10 high 20s.

I’d look at the 200 litre box. Benefits in terms of material cost, getting the box not to move, and the midbass punch all appeal.

How is the SPL different than specified. Where are you loosing so much? This thing should wail with a watt or so.

Note that that calculater is for an Onken, not a miniOnken.

dave

Thanks Dave. A Watt or so is what I've got!

I'm mulling over what to do with these drive units at the moment, maybe some miniOnkens, maybe a bass reflex, maybe an OB...

Do you have any suitable plans secreted about your person? Large floorstanders are fine, though I've not really mapped the volumes you mention to physical box sizes.

Cheers

Ray

A custom design is only a doation away.

email me if you want to talk further.

dave

Thanks Dave, it's good to know that the option is available and I may well come back and take you up on it. This is not a pressing issue as I need to complete some other projects before I entertain a speaker builld so I have the luxury of being able to procrastinate for a while.

Having done some quick calculations I'm begining to appreciate the physical size that those cabinet volumes translate into.

Dave,
Didn't I see a post attachment somewhere of a MiniOnken for the Dayton PS220-8? Was hoping someone had built it with listening impressions.

Couldn't find it again but was hoping it would be floor standing and trapezoidal. The Singularity and Pensil are a bit simple. What can I say? I always take the hard way.
Dave