• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave have you uploaded any video with demo sound ?

I do not. They are not as useful as pictures, and any sound is so convolved with so much else you do not know, that any attempt at presenting sonics is useless. The things the miniOnkens do really well are some of the first things that gets lost.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
HiFi Loudspeaker Design

The miniOnkens borrow the side vents from the Onken (in particualr one from Audax published in the late 70s), but the alignment is way different and the slot vents are purposely made with very high aspect ratios adding R to the vent part, and push the reflex more towards aperiodic. Further it turns out, if needed, they can be pushed even further opeb cel foam to push them even more aperiodic.

A traditional Onken has a low bass shelf alignment, but i am told more and more are doing max-flat alignments. There is nothing magic about the Onken except the side vents, something that dramatically stiffens the side walls. One can get some higher frequency resonances from the vent length (but that can be an issue with any box with a longish vent).

dave

Greetings to anyone and especially to the Onken/Fonken Guru.

I'm trying to understand how these enclosures are performing.
Do they have any special "virtues" in comparison to "horns", transmission line enclosures, ...
Are a special type of Bass-reflex box or something else ?
Are an "Open-Baffle" box with a (kind of) "acoustic mirror" attached to the back opening, but "tuned" to a certain frequency ? All at the same frequency or every port to a different frequency but all of them closely tuned one to another ?
From the sketches I see that they don't have sound absorbing material inside (maybe I'm wrong) so the efficiency of this type of enclosure shall be rather higher. The cabinet is a "live" one or an "as-dead-as-possible" one?

Elias

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Onken/Fonken

A bass reflex with vents running down the sides. Offically with low bass shelf tuning, but many ar enow doing max-flat, and miniOnkens push the high resistance idea, increasing vent aspect even further but also having vents down the size.

Official Onkens tend to large, miniOnkens tend to be small. Low bass shelf is intended to get bass extention from drivers that won’t do it flat, miniOnken only goes as low as it goes.

dave

• Thank You
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, the CHN works in the same boxes as the Alpair 5.2/3,

uMK5-set.png

but i have recently started to add the slanted front boxes as in the ¨Fonken set.

uFonkenFamily.gif

Includes plans for helper woofers, both ones that act as stands and ones that are meant to be distributed. This is one of them: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/silver-flute-w14-woofers.396686/

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 10”.That is one i have not done, but the one i most want to play with personally. Puzzlekoat and a new XO at minimum.

I would love to do a miniOnken, i can specify one, but cannot draw it up properly,

As miniOnkens tend toward small, and there is room for tuning smaller boxes than optimum for decent response. The tyopical Tannoy box i have seen and heard try too hard to get bass extention (big boxes poorly tuned) and give up some fidelity to get it.

dave