Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planet 10 hifi Home of the Frugal-phile™ - Planet 10 HiFi

Old 18th February 2015, 02:52 PM   #31
picovolt is offline picovolt
diyAudio Member

Default Felt

I've built a temporary Floorstander pair for the 10PeN, and used the softest wool felt that McMasters had. This is 1/2 inch thick, but I'm wondering about the density--if it should be something closer to "insulation" batting. When I hold this felt between my thumb and pointer, I can press it to just about half thickness. Does that sound about right, or is this much denser than the felt that most people use?

Meanwhile, I'm very pleased with the sound. I've got the speakers angled further back (so the front edge would be about an inch higher than the back) and with them placed about 10 inches away from the wall. Imaging is very precise, the bass extension is adequate, tonal balance is quite good, with the exception of baritone voices, which sound thin to me--but this may also be due to their only having another 30 hours over the 200 at P10. I was expecting pretty much everything that they do well, except for the bass speed, which truly surpassed my expectations.

So, now I just need to decide between the TT and FHXL designs...can anyone compare either of these to the Floorstander?
Old 18th February 2015, 03:31 PM   #32
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions
The felt sounds like it is in the appropriate range.

TT is the same tuning as the Compact Floorstander you have built. FHXL goes lower.

dave
Old 18th February 2015, 05:55 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I've heard both the compact floorstander and FHXL - the price for latter's performance is enclosure footprint and "breathing" room behind. Whenever you have that available, I'd recommend the horns.
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:54 PM   #34
picovolt is offline picovolt
diyAudio Member

Yesterday was able to use a balanced version of the headphone amp I've been using, which also means I can used the balanced out from my Legato IV. (Pretty much maxed this out when building, and it's much better than the SE out.)

New level of dynamics (got around 1.5 watts a side now), control, and just general goodness. Currently just have straight wire runs right off the speakers to the plug at the amp; have been considering this for my final build.

Am curious about speakon connectors--have used them in back line speakers for stage use, but am not sure of their sonics. I fully agree with the less metal mass philosophy (and have been running solid core twisted pairs since the 70s--mil surplus Teflon, I use it for almost everything).
Old 22nd February 2015, 04:08 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by picovolt View Post
Am curious about speakon connectors--have used them in back line speakers for stage use, but am not sure of their sonics. I fully agree with the less metal mass philosophy
I have only used than for a single set of prospeakers i built. They were quite funtional, how they work in a hifi situation i don't know. With all the swapping we do around here, pomona dual plugs and standard spaced binding posts are just too useful.

Quote:
(and have been running solid core twisted pairs since the 70s--mil surplus Teflon, I use it for almost everything).
I have part of a roll of something similar, 30 g. Haven't used much of it yet.

dave
Old 28th September 2015, 08:38 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pat is building a set of Fonken165T. Read about his experiences DIY Speakers | patjames.com

dave
Old 29th September 2015, 05:25 PM   #37
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

hmm, that design looks vaguely familiar
Old 14th November 2015, 01:11 AM   #38
frazier is offline frazier  United States
diyAudio Member

Default design/driver combo

My hearing preferences are in the mids [ old age] Dave, in your opinion what plan and driver combination ,desktop, stand mount, would be best ? Apologies up front . TKS
Old 14th November 2015, 02:05 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No consideration given to looks, cost, ease of build, you will get the best midrange out of a dMar-Ken7.3mT with A7.3eN. That is the medium trapezoidal miniOnken.

That is speculation. We haven't actually built that one yet, but the narrow trapezoidal miniOnken is VERY good, and the slighty wider box should reduce any early inner sidewall reflections (at the expense of maybe looking a little squat).

Not far behind would be µFonkenSET with FF85wKeN & µMar-KenSET with Alpair 5.2eN.

The others all have their virtues.

dave
Old 26th November 2015, 06:24 AM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I just finished a set of drawings for FF105wk. These same boxes will be retuned for the FE103 SOL.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set SubscriptionsHide this!Advertise here!