• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

Assembly time!

Ah, I envy you. Assembling my flat-pak was such a great project.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say hello, and also say I'm finally going to get to listen to my Frugel-Horns with a tube power amp. A "Fred Sanford" type at work stumbled upon a McIntosh MAC 1500 Receiver last week, and I've just begun testing it out for possible purchase. It seems to more or less work (the tuner and output at least) so I'm going to bring her into the house and hook her up to the FHs tonight.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Plywood is much stiffer & better damped than MDF. You would need 1" (25mm) MDF to (approx) equal that of 15mm quality ply. And then the MDF would stillnot be as well damped & that does not bring up MDFs issues of greater energy storage.

You can build Frugel-Horns out of MDF and they will sound OK, but it is not recommended and they will not sound as good as made from good plywood.

We use MDF for templates, spacers, bases, and some other ancillary uses, but we won't build speakers out of it.

dave

Some of my early speaker builds where with MDF - up to 1" in the case of a Churchill inspired enclosure for Tannoy 15" Dual Concentric, but my personal preference for plywood is based on comparing pairs of identical enclosures over a decade ago - bipole 2-way with CSS WR125 and dome tweeter (probably ERT126 or such?)

The most distinguished character of the thinner, lighter and stiffer plywood cabinets was "cleaner / faster" bass transients and more transparent vocals.

It doesn't hurt that plywood is rather lighter than M or HD fibreboard - when some larger designs entail almost a full sheet of material each, 45lbs foot^3 which is the average of local material, it can be literally back-breaking work to hoist a sheet onto a table saw, and carry finished cabinets up a flight of stairs.

ping Dave Planet 10 I tried to find your post in which you said that
you availability of some solid wood maybe spruce . but you said it was too soft .
could not tung oil be applied if one wanted to spend a month of sundays finishing them?

thanks

found it: #36
planet10 is online now planet10 Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have explored estern Rred cedar flat-paks. Makes a very good speaker, is quite light-weight but we haven't figured out how to finish in a manner that makes it tuff.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Flat-paks are more-or-less continuous production. We are usually behind in numbers & a short wait is more normal than not. Our biggest constraint in terms of timing is that we ar eat the bottom of the queue to access the CNC (a big Italian Morbedelli)

As of today i am just finishing packing up the last of a surplus we had and are waiting to get at the CNC for more.

Send me an email if interested.

dave