• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Note: 15-july-2018.
With Chris’ retirement we no longer have access to the shop, so barring some new, different arrangements we are suspending flat-pk manufacture.

I do have some stock of small flat-paks.

dave

07-august-16 we are more or less in continuous production, Price is still $290/pr USD for FH3 flat-paks.
The larger Frugel-Horn XL flat-paks are also slowly starting to flow, Price is $390/pr USD. 1st shipments of Frugel-Horn Lite are underway. There is still often a queue.

We have reached 100 flat-paks with very few issues. None have been damaged in shipping or lost.

All have shipped to North America (with a couple pair off to the other side of the Pacific compliments of the US Military). I will ship overseas but the pain of cost of shipping will be high.

Flat-paks include precut cabinet panels of 15mm maple veneered quality plywood, with an 18mm baffle (rebated and dadoed, all angles cut for easy assembly). drivers (optional, 10% discount if bought with flat-pak), terminals (5-way posts, 2" hole, good for sonics, tight for fat fingers, damping, wire (24g copper (from CAT5 cable)) for a pair of speakers. You will need to provide glue, screwdriver, soldering iron, drill & need to finish them. Clamps are useful & recommended, but a slow methodical assembly can usually be done with tape (masking usually -- anything that leaves a residue should be avoided)

Standard rebates for Fostex FE126 (FE127 & FF125wk) Mark Audio CHR/CHP/EL70, Alpair 7, or blank. One went out for FE108eS so that can be ordered. Others. We'll try (really helps to have a driver on hand to do it).

Here is Chris doing a mock assembly: Frugel-Horn Mk3 Flat-Pak Mock Assembly Instructions

flat-pak-contents.gif

flat-pak-pieces.jpg

I've borrowed Colin's (aka Toppsy) pictures of his lovely build as examples. From the flat-pak you can build something broadly similar, we have round terminal cups that we like bettr than Colin's and the optional outriggers we have are a little different.

FH-Mk3-comp.jpg

Maximum shipping in Canada or USA for the flat-pak alone (no drivers) will be ~$130 to Florida. Package is 98x52x18 cm and 25.5 kg.

Postage quotes

We are encouraging local manufacturers to start providing these so that shipping does not skew the value. Speakers & flat-paks have/are made in Europe. Unfortunately the Australian flat-pak maker is no longer in production.

eMail me if interested.

Here are relevant threads on the Frugel-Horn Mk3:
FH3 Picture Gallery
Frugel-Horn Mk3 discussion thread
Frugel-Horn Mk3 beta Builds thread
Frugal Horn Mk3 build for CHP70 and FE126En

dave

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some pictures of the prototype flat-pak

both.jpg

pieces.jpg

panels-in.jpg

Changes in the production flat-paks:
1/ baffles will be 18mm instead of 15mm
2/ the little piece will have a round-over instead of a champher
3/ the sides, top, & bottom will be extended 3mm so that the top back corner of the side with the rebates doesn't blow out.

packaged.jpg

Here it is all packaged up -- needs one more layer of cardboard (20" iMac as size reference). It will need to be a bit thicker to accomodate drivers if purchased with the flat-pak.

I'll take this down to the post office Wed and then i'll be able to figure out actual shipping costs.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got the packaged flat-pak doen to the post office and weighed this last week. Heavier than i guessed -- guess was basd on FH1, Simplier did not counter taller, deeper, thicker wood as much as i thought it would.

Here is insured postage to a selection of North America (in CAD$) This does not include additional postage from drivers & their insurance:

(edit: these quotes are turning out to be too optimistic, but will hold until the 2nd run) 06 jun 11

Contact me for a quote.

dave