• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil Pics, lets show 'em!

Dear people, since last weekend also listening to Alpair 7 (Gen. 3) drivers in Dave & Scott's Pensil Alp7.3 speaker cabinets.
Powered by Topping TP30 and connected with Sony BM10.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Attachments

• Pensil Pics 1.png
    Pensil Pics 1.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 720
  • Pensil Pics 2.jpg
    Pensil Pics 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 702
  • Pensil Pics 3.jpg
    Pensil Pics 3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 692
  • Pensil Pics 4.jpg
    Pensil Pics 4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 689
  • Pensil Pics 5.jpg
    Pensil Pics 5.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 696
  • Pensil Pics 6.jpg
    Pensil Pics 6.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 395
Since my last progress post about end of April this year, I may have reached about 300++ hours of running time with my chr70a gen3 dual drivers as of todate. The sound character still has changed. For one, the gain has increased which is a sign that the driver's suspension is loosening up. The perceived increase in gain provided a larger soundstage which makes the music presentation lifelike than it was when the drivers were at >100 hours running time. The bass also has opened up yet retaining its tight character. The mids and highs are still to die for. The speaker now fills the room not only with sound, but it presents the music with the right size and depth. Also, music flows effortlessly without straining oneself into analyzing the music presentation. Listening to music is now more relaxed.

I feel that the this speakers can present the character of your sources, especially in my case where I am currently tweaking my digital source. Each tweak I make is now apparent with the help of this transparent speakers. I can easily spot the differences whenever I change something in the audio chain.

I wonder what will happen when it reaches the 400 hour mark .......
For those who have ventured with mark audio drivers, be patient until the drivers reach the 400 hour mark ...... Happy listening.....

Last edited:
Ooh those are pretty! Do you have any larger pics of them? Beautiful room as well :D

Scott

Very nice job, bigger pics would be good !

Description please, whats the setup, are those big black boxes subs?

Going backward this thread here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/182283-pensil-pics-lets-show-em-25.html#post3837119 here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/182283-pensil-pics-lets-show-em-26.html#post3899298 and here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/249666-chr-70a-gen3-dual-driver-pensil-3.html#post3837116.

See also flikr links in those posts, and sketer99 even comment the pictures at post #250 :).... good weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks Byrtt for the guidance.....

Studio Au ..... Before the pensils, i was running my main stereo speakers with subs. Those subs are DIYed 8" Tangband sub drivers on sealed boxes and externally driven with an amp and an electronic xover both diyed. On top the sub boxes are 2 granite slabs per sub and 'kamagong' hardwood which serves as weights to restrain the subs from moving. The weights made the bass output more accurate and tight. But, with the pensiled chr70.3a, the subs are taking a rest for most of my music material.

Amplification comes from a diyed Aikido 6922 based preamp with LDR Lightspeed potentiometer and the poweramp is a diyed gainclone inspired from the gaincard.

Pensil 7.3, 19mm hardwood ply, black rattle can on the front baffle and clear poly on the rest, one internal brace about midway and stuffed with the prescribed 350grams of polyfill.

This is the bedroom setup, currently driven by a DIY TPA3116 amp and 6N3/6Z4 pre-amp, now if only I could find a DIY CD player...

P9270086 by Steven, on Flickr

P9270088 by Steven, on Flickr

P9270091 by Steven, on Flickr

P9270090 by Steven, on Flickr

Thanks - they sound fine to my ear, although I am unable to test in a more open environment - our house is quite small and we don't have the luxury of a large listening room. I am looking into the audio testing side of things with software and mic's etc but it seems quite daunting at first look (was looking at REW).

However real world testing (with ears) say they sound great - very good for acoustic/vocals/jazz etc.

Sorry to revive an old thread for my first post, but I'm curious about the speakers below (taken for MarkAudio's site). It looks like a SuperPensil in a sealed or rear/bottom ported configuration. I'm planning a build and leaning towards Alpair 10p in a Pensil enclosure I like the idea of being able to use the outriggers, and I read somewhere that could be an issue with the original design.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.