• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is Pensil 10.2 (oakwood cabinets) at Kenneth's place.

Attachments

• P10.2-10.jpg
    P10.2-10.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P10.2-9.jpg
    P10.2-9.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 388
Mark,
I am breaking in my speakers and have a stupid question. how do i know how hard they are being pushed without some sort of measurement device? I have them playing on very low levels to the point where they are hard to hear with any other noise present. Is this sufficient or can i push them a little more. I can hardly tell the cone is even moving. In your break-in thread you speak of excursion when defining how hard they are being pushed. Is there a way to measure this with any accuracy? THanks!

Hi Buzz,
Good question and my apologies. As engineers, we get used to observing moving objects all day long. Its reasonably easy for us to look at a driver's power-train while under load to broadly assess the amount of excursion. We also have laser based excursion-load measuring equipment.

A good way for the DIY'er to judge is........

First 100 hours, use light background type music (vocals, easy listening etc) at Very modest levels where the cone hardly flickers and you can easily hold a conversation without having to raise you your voice. Basically, the drivers should be playing in the background rather like hotel lobby music, gentle and soothing, not intrusive.

After this first 100 hour period, gradually increase volumes. Start introducing bass music. Between 100 to 200 hours, your just need to see the cone flicker up and down with little movements. A good way to gauge this is carefully place a ruler next to front suspension. Visualise the mm scale on the ruler and pan across to the cone's outer edge. You're looking for around a maximum 1 mm of excursion on a drum beat. After 200 hours, a bit more volume so the cone's now moving more regularly, up to normal listening levels and a touch more volume when you're in the mood for a bit of musical drama.

Its worth noting that in a well matched driver/cab combination, the driver's power-train won't need to move much. About 2 to 3-mm should generate a very pleasing bass from Markaudio drivers. Take a look at Olav's experience (post No.6):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/182319-alp10-2-17literbr.html

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
movement of cone!!

Hi everyone!

What I do to see and keep track of how much the cone is moving is: I hold my finger AT the Black RubberRing that runs around the rim of the diameter of the cone. That way you can feel the rubber move ca. 1 mm - maybe a LITTLE more(1,5mm mostly). Depends on how much bass on the tracks you are playing.
Today I have had about 200 hours on the drivers - and still I am careful!
And the speakers fill the room nearly - even with this low volume. Sounds like much bigger speakers - really!

Best to all

Olav

A new pair Pensil 10.2 finished yesterday. It took me 5-6 hours for assembly and installation. Great style and nice looking for the finished Pensil 10.2. I love them. Thanks for the efforts made by Mark and Scott on Alpair 10.2 full range driver and Pensil 10.2 cabinet.

Cheers!

Tony.

Attachments

• P10.2-11.jpg
    P10.2-11.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 285
  • P10.2-12.jpg
    P10.2-12.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Pensil-10.2a.jpg
    Pensil-10.2a.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 252
Oh I see. Thanks Scott. I have a possibly dumb question. In many box plans, including the super pensil, it seems as if the verticle bracing behind the speaker isn't centered. Is there a reason why it's offset to one side rahter than smack dab in the middle of the driver? I'm guessing for motor ventillation (if it has a center vent) but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Steven

Thanks, Steven,

The bottom braces are the function which stops damping material inside Pensil cabinet dropping down to bottom and block vent. All of my Pensil series cabinets are made this bottom braces. See my Pensil 7 cabients.

Beautiful work. Are those bottom braces a new addtion to the plans? Perhaps a more practical alternative to cabinet bracing than the super pensil type of bracing? Or do they possibly shape the sound of the cabinet? Just curious. :)

Attachments

• P7-06.jpg
    P7-06.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 286
  • P7-07.jpg
    P7-07.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 275
Oh I see. Thanks Scott. I have a possibly dumb question. In many box plans, including the super pensil, it seems as if the verticle bracing behind the speaker isn't centered. Is there a reason why it's offset to one side rahter than smack dab in the middle of the driver? I'm guessing for motor ventillation (if it has a center vent) but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Steven

actually to distribute resonances of unbraced panels to (ranges of) multiple frequencies at lower amplitudes

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In many box plans, including the super pensil, it seems as if the verticle bracing behind the speaker isn't centered. Is there a reason why it's offset to one side rahter than smack dab in the middle of the driver?

A brace dead centre is not very effective at killing the 1st panel mode. As you can see in the sketch, a centrally placed brace clamps the panel at the null of many modes & thius can encourage them.

One of the rules of bracing is: A brace should divide a panel into unequal sub-panels.

In addition to the vertical driver brace, cross-braces are also recommended.

207882d1296541601-pensil-pics-lets-show-em-pensil7-braces.jpg

dave

Attachments

• panel-resonance.gif
    panel-resonance.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 234
A brace dead centre is not very effective at killing the 1st panel mode. As you can see in the sketch, a centrally placed brace clamps the panel at the null of many modes & thius can encourage them.

One of the rules of bracing is: A brace should divide a panel into unequal sub-panels.

In addition to the vertical driver brace, cross-braces are also recommended.

207882d1296541601-pensil-pics-lets-show-em-pensil7-braces.jpg

dave
Looks like the holes in the braces are either painted black/a shadow/ lined with something??
Don

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.