• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at ideas of adding another Alpair series driver and enclosure on top of the Alpair 10.2 Pensil that I have now.

Will probably run an ESP linkwitz riley crossover to a pair of Tripath digital amps. TK2050 for the Alpair 10.2 and a TA2020 for the higher range drivers.

Any recommendations?

Edwin

I'm looking at ideas of adding another Alpair series driver and enclosure on top of the Alpair 10.2 Pensil that I have now.

Will probably run an ESP linkwitz riley crossover to a pair of Tripath digital amps. TK2050 for the Alpair 10.2 and a TA2020 for the higher range drivers.

Any recommendations?

Edwin

Hi Edwin,
So I'm sure, you've got a pair of Pencil 10.2 running? If yes, can you post some pics?
Thanks
Mark.

Hi Mark,
Ran for a bit and decided to get the enclosure box veneered. It'll be another week or so before I can get them back. Will post pictures then! :)
Edwin

Hi Edwin,
Is there a particular reason for adding a tweet to the Alp10.2 in Pencil? I've increased the Alp10.2' mid-high output be an average of +3dB over the old driver. From listening events, the Alp10.2 with the rectangle coil become the beta's choice mostly on the increase in mid-high output.

All the same its nice to experiment. I spent time yesterday with Tony at Kenneth's workshop. Kenneth makes transformers and currently runs Fostex 166 with Hi-Vi ribbon tweets:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/180255-mark-visited-kenneths-work-place.html

A pretty good effort although there are some challenges with Kenneth's set up. He's running the 166 full range so the set-up is slightly affected by phase conflict with its ribbons. Kenneth has restricted the ribbon's output so they work more as a "top up" on HF output rather than a full-on tweet. I found the set-up most pleasing when the ribbons were disconnected. With no ribbons operating; There's more balance to musical composition, in particular, the pitch of the music was more in keeping with the original music. Kenneth likes adding the tweets for a "brighter sound". The 166's cones were looking a little pale. its possible that these older 166's had been exposed to some sunlight, so the mid-highs were sounding a slightly "dry" and 2 dimensional. Things improved significantly when we swopped to Kenneth's own build pre-amp, very nice effort.

Be interesting to see what you think of Alp10.2 on Tripath. I'm currently running Alp10.2 on Accuphase 308 and Tony's 300B SET. Other local Hong Kong guys are experimenting with vintage Mofset, Class D's and various tube set ups. My knowledge on Tripaths is very limited but if possible, I'd suggest looking for a set-up thats on the "warm" side rather than "sharp". But like all things in audio, its about personal taste.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Apologies for the non response to your detailed reply. Figured, without pictures I'd be just adding noise to the forum. ;)

Finally got the cabs back. Marine ply veneered with Sapele veneer, finished with waterbased polyurethane. I quite like how everything turned out. Pensil cabinets have high wife acceptance factor. :D

Still a work in progress, I'm currently running Arjen Helder's tube buffer/TA2020 T-amp, LG Hardisk DVD recorder/player into the Alpair 10.2/Pensil. I'm in the midst of building a USB DAC to feed my laptop music files.

Being quite new to hifi and stuff, I won't be able to contribute much input for comparisons but coming from the system I was running, KEF Coda 9.2, Alesis RA-100 amp and Marantz CD5000, this new setup is so much more detailed and clear. Its like taking a thick curtain off my previous setup.

As for the reason of adding another driver/electronic crossover, I guess there is no strong reason other than why not? :p DIY is becoming quite affordable to be able to experiment and experience.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I have now and looking forward to the addition of dedicated DAC.

Edwin

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 765
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 720
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 711
I've just bought more polyfill for the cabinet. Stuffed it to the right prescribe amount 0.75 lb/ft3 which translate to around 0.81kg for the Pensil 10.2. Quite packed!

WOW, now the bass is tight and solid. Played Portishead - Dummy and I could actually "feel" the bass while the vocals and instruments remains clear and defined. I'm really impressed with Mark's Alpairs! I wasn't expecting this when I decided to go the full range way.

I'm happy. :D

Attachments

• Alpair 10 pensil polyfill weight.jpg
    Alpair 10 pensil polyfill weight.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 661
I've just bought more polyfill for the cabinet. Stuffed it to the right prescribe amount 0.75 lb/ft3 which translate to around 0.81kg for the Pensil 10.2. Quite packed!
WOW, now the bass is tight and solid. Played Portishead - Dummy and I could actually "feel" the bass while the vocals and instruments remains clear and defined. I'm really impressed with Mark's Alpairs! I wasn't expecting this when I decided to go the full range way.

Many thanks Souther,
We also have Scott (member Scottmoose) to thank as he's the brains behind the Pencil design.

Cheers

Mark.

Advice for Alp10.2

Happy New Year all!
To all diy-er who has a helping hand or head: me and a friend ordered our Alp10.2 today and I have started building my cab. But my friend want to use it either as a part of his Jamo. His Jamo Concert VII has a subbass from 24-150 Hz and he want to keep that as a FAST! But if he swap the midrange and tweeter he will have a volum around 10-12 liter. I use 18-19 liter for mine ported.

But then 2 questions arises: Go for a ported or a closed box. Nr2: Run Alp10.2 Fullrange and with a filter for the Subbas(it`s a very good bass in that Jamo) - or with a crossover at 150 Hz so the Alpair is released for the heaviest bass?

Hope this was an easy case for someone who is more versed in this than 2 relatively newcomers in Norway.

Greetings to all.

Olav

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FAST should work well. If you keep the A10.2 sealed you can just use the 2nd order roll-off as all, or part of, the high pass filer.

9.2 liter sealed gives a Q of 0.707 with an F3 of 71 Hz. If that is too low you can actively filter it (you don't want to use passive that low)

dave

Attachments

• alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    19 KB · Views: 646
Thanks Dave!

Yea - my friend say he will run them paralell! 7.2 in paralell w. 6 ohm gives me just under 4 ohm so that should be ok! And he have a crossover to the sub. So I think we try that for a while and then insert a filter on the Alp20.2 when and if the output from Alp10 will interfere with the subbass.

Time will tell - and the joy of trying is just ahead in the future.

Be back when our projects is more complete.

Ol

Congrats to your beautiful pair of Alpairs!

Could you kindly share your sources of material for the cabinets? I want to be happy too! ;)

I've been running Alpair 7 on 7 litre Mission 780 bookshelves (tweeter disconnected) and find the bass lacking. I've reworked the 780 baffle to fit the A7. Though I've tried to seal all possible leaks, my work is kinda shabby. So thinking of going for Pensil 7. I wonder if void free birch ply is expensive here.

Also, besides polyfill, did you use any foam directly behind the drivers?

Thanks! Cheers!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi Bro,

I got a contact from a carpenter at Sungei Kadut area that does speaker cabs for many shops here in Singapore, eg Leda/Martin. IMHO, he is kinda pricey but he sure knows what he is doing. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post contacts here in the forum so drop me a pm if you want his contact.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd just get some precut marine ply and do it up at home. Pensils are not that complex to build maybe just the driver cutout.

Else you may want to check with Tony from Twin Audio, Hong Kong in this forum. His prebuilt solid wood cabs are pretty well made. Just received a CHR70 bass reflex kit from him.

I did not use any foam behind the drivers, just carefully stuff the polyfill so that it does not touch the drivers.

Cheers,

Edwin

Congrats to your beautiful pair of Alpairs!

Could you kindly share your sources of material for the cabinets? I want to be happy too! ;)

I've been running Alpair 7 on 7 litre Mission 780 bookshelves (tweeter disconnected) and find the bass lacking. I've reworked the 780 baffle to fit the A7. Though I've tried to seal all possible leaks, my work is kinda shabby. So thinking of going for Pensil 7. I wonder if void free birch ply is expensive here.

Also, besides polyfill, did you use any foam directly behind the drivers?

Thanks! Cheers!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Norman,
Thanks for the tips. Any pointers on what i can do to achieve better soundstage?
(btw, your name is very familiar. Do you own a motel?)

Hi Edwin(Southernoise),
Thanks for the info. I'll pm you for the contact and check out Tony's postings.

Cheerios all!

what 2 do?

Hi all or someone who know!

Me and my friend got our 4 drivers today(Alp10.2 looks SO great) - but my friend wonder if he can use the Advance Acoustic Integrated - and split the pre so the Internal Power Amp(75Watt in 8ohm)in Advance runs the Alp10? And the other split signal from the pre is fed into an old Nikko Power Amp with 120Watt in 4 ohm - that will feed the Jamo Sub in his old Speaker?

I tell him there can be some trouble with unbalanced signal to 2 Power Amp. And he will not control the volume since they are so different in power/load.

Can he proceed with his project as he planned or as we first planned with the crossover (120 Hz) to the Jamo - and run Alp10.2 Fullrange in the old upper compartment of the Jamo Concerto( which will be made bigger)?

We will be VERY grateful for some good/sound advice on this case.

And we will display som good photos from our projects when it is more finished.

Greatings to all.

Olav

Pre-Amp/Power-Amp

Hi Dave!

Tnx for quick respons!
As I remember(while ago since I did see his combo) -
The Advance Acoustic only has a link from the pre to the power, so one can use the preout to another poweramplifier. And then he has to use a cabel and split the cabel towards two poweamps(the Advance Acoustics own and the other old Nikko)
And I think it will be difficult to control the volume and the symmetry between them. And I`m not shure if the 3 units can handle the unbalance?

Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.