• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had a nice post done, lost it when i submitted it aganst forum maint. Let's try again.

Once you pull the links between pre & power you have a pre + 2 power amps. Then you connect an XO as shown in the diagram.

At least one of the power amps will need a gain control (the one that needs to be turned down to properly set the speaker levels). This can be in the power amp or the XO.

If you can get away with the limited capabilities of a PLLXO is is cheap & quite transparent. A PLLXO can't have level controls unless it is buffered -- which effectively makes it an active XO. Active XO can be more versatile,, some of the new DSP XOs very much so (but not without downsides).

dave

Attachments

• norge0biamp.gif
    norge0biamp.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 338
so it was...

Thanks Dave and Souternoise!!

Just spot on!
I had an inkling about just that solution - but there been too much water towards the see since I was occupied with amplifier/building - but someday one must - get behind the mule(Tom Waits) - and get better sound/relearn an old habit!
So I think my friend keep his old crossover - hides his old Nikko - run his Alpair Fullrange(as I recommended him)- or maybe a condensator at 120Hz later!

I will post lots of pics from my own building/prosess - Alp10.2 in a kind of Ported 18 liter next week: Maybe Dave will fancy some of those!

Thanks again!!

Olav

hiya bro.

Better soundstage ?

Sit closer to them if you want to run them wide open, or.
Place them on a coffee table directly in front of you (arms length away).
Try ambiophonics with them (place a divider between them, side by side directly in front of you).

If you want a deeper soundstage, you have to play with the spacing to the front wall.

As I am learning, it is all about what you listen to, how loud you listen, and how far you are from the speakers. People pull their speakers outside, they sound great, pull them inside, and they sound bad. Acoustics.

But very pretty in that box.

Norman

Hi all!

As stated earlier my friend wanted to try the Alpair10.2 in his Jamo-box. His Jamo was partly destroyed(crossover blown) - and the sound was not up to date. But the bass in those Jamos were still good(Push-Pull vented down to 23 HZ). So when I ordered mine drivers he set out his project - AND yesterday I heard it 1time!
And it is superb - the double bass is supporting the sound of the alpair to a degree I would not imagine. I must build an sdx7 support FAST myself!

But he is running those VERY revealing couple on the Advance/old Nikko combination you see there! And he run the Alpair in paralell with the Bass. But he has a 12db crossover he got from Ljudia - and that functions very good.

The Alpair is situated in the chamber where the old midband-driver was. It has a chambervolume that is between 5-6 liter(and sealed).

The tweeter which was where the foam is today. The foam that covers the hole - the hole is part if the two ports that the Jamo used for its Push/Pull.

And I think this elegant/simple solution has taken his music to a very high level. His speakers is MUCH more open - crisp and enjoyable than before. He still got that extremely capably bass - but one is more able to feel the attack of the strings of the bassguitar and feel the room the player is moving in!

Best to all - this was a good FAST

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 289
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.