• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

It's not easy being green (apologies to Kermit)

Hay Dave, I've been playing with the Dayton ps220... looks and sounds really good so far. Have you thought about doing EnaBl on this driver?

Aside from the sonic benefits, what treatment colors do you think could work well with the basic gray cone like the Dayton's?

Merry Christmas, and awaiting your reply!

For those of us that live in the Pacific Northwest, Grey "is" the basic color of our existance.

Looking at a grey cone is like peering through a porthole into our whole world, who would want to change that?
:confused:

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hay Dave, I've been playing with the Dayton ps220... looks and sounds really good so far. Have you thought about doing EnaBl on this driver?

Aside from the sonic benefits, what treatment colors do you think could work well with the basic gray cone like the Dayton's?

I have thot about it, but with the current backlog of trial drivers (SEAS, Scanspeak, Audio Nirvana, Eminence ...) and not being able to keep ahead on the regular items, they await someone to special order some (you'll have mail)

Grey cones i usually take to black, adding any sort of colour just adds a tone to the grey (something brownish to make them techno-punkish might work). A standard EL70 is a good example of the standard grey cone treatment. Grey spots are standard, but i have done myself a pair with goldish spots and did up both the Eminence & Iris coaxs with whote spots. A set of B20 with dark blue spots was, IMO, not the best choice of spot colour.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another round of FE126eN^2

Natural w grey:
JJ-FE126eN-NatwGrey-comp.jpg

Natural w Black (all 3 cone rings):
AB-FE26eN-Nat-wBlk3-comp.jpg

Robin's egg blue w blue:
MH-FE126eN-RobinBlue-comp.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No i don't think i could do that. One might try but it would kill the HF.

What could be done, with Mark's cooperation, is to directly order a pair of grey A7.3 and pay/bribe/wheedle Mark to swap the dustcaps for those from the copper cones (that colour was originally done in the 1st gen CHR to get as close to SDX7 phase plug as possible).

dave

Thats what I was thinking, but thanks anyways.
Didn't even know that painted drivers could be usable at all until I found this thread, so I thought I'd just ask...
Your work on the other drivers is amazing btw.

I'll shoot Mark a message and see what he says.
Hopefully I won't have to sell a kidney, because I am quite satisfied with them.