• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

It's not easy being green (apologies to Kermit)

:eek: I laughed out loud in my open area office space. Haha, thanks for that :D

just remembering some embarrassing fun from my psychodelia days of the late 60s(the "high" in secondary education) - 45yrs later it's easier to laff about it

back to regularly scheduled programing - what I found with Bernie's little locust cabinets was eyestrain from even short exposure to the black lights - an age thing I guess

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will the glow in black light rings glow in the dark? Or just under black light? That would be very cool to have those going while some friends are over.

I didn't try that... i now am using the black light as a night lite... but i can say that the bottle of the arycrilic used would glow without the aid of a blck light if charged up.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 1st FF125wKeN

This new driver is starting to come off the bench.

The stock colour will be natural with grey spots (the camera makes the difference larger than the human eye diserns (at least my eye)):

FF125wKen-nat-wGrey.jpg

And one of the 1st experiments with "colour", black with dark grey spots -- again the camera sees a greater difference:

FF125wKen-blk-wdarkGrey.jpg

Spot colour for these is as yet undecided, but they show that some interesting cone colours will be possible:

maroon-pretreat-FF125wk.jpg

Hi Bud,

It kills a tiny bit of HF ringing from the cap. found using taps, a very subtle change of tone as you tap thru the cone... the "ridged" dustcap behaves quite differently.

dave

spoiler alert: that might well explain some of what I heard on my weekend listening session - mind you 5 different pairs of speakers in one afternoon might have been a bit overwhelming for an amateur

Finally the first examples of the enabl'ed FFxxxWK series!
I was very interested to see how the ridged domes will treated.
I'm watching this corner closely as I have a pair of FF165wk mounted in a metronome, and I'm sure these could benefit from enabl treatment.
And since I haven't mastered the "art of the tap test" my only option is to follow other people's lead concerning ring placement.
Hoping to see the treatment on the FF165WKeN soon.
Regards
Nick

Well I'd say ya, of course, but I'm hanging my helmet. Got to expensive :( pretty safe hobby actually (no tele poles to hit on a race track), but parts are to costly. I got to competitive, but not very good. Should have stuck with basic bikes. Bike is already sold.

My next project might have to bring the memories into my living room with coloured cones :D We'll see what I can whip up with the red FE83's.

Testosterone actually has nothing to do with it. Nothing. It's very much a mental sport. Very physically demanding too. At least for me. Smaller is better generally. I had a sticker across my speedometer that said THINK!!! Every move is a precise decision. There have been lots of guys come out to race because they think they're rad and their bike has so much horsepower. They quickly find out they're very slow because it actually has nothing to do with the size of your balls or bike power. It's all skill. Maybe 10% bike. Both those bikes have stock motors. The one on the right (mine) had $2k worth of suspension work. Because horsepower doesn't do much.

As for disposable income, well, mine isn't disposable. Hence why I've quite. Even if all I paid was race fees, oil changes, and fuel it was still costing to much. But people spend a lot more on a lot less. I bought the bike for $10k and got 8.

And I'm not sure I've met anyone who does it to "demonstrate" testosterone or disposable cash. Everyone I know on the race scene does it because they love to do it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...it actually has nothing to do with the size of your balls or bike power. It's all skill.

My last 5 bikes were singles. 4 of them SR500s. I remember meeting up with 2 1kcc bikes at the corner of Finayson Arm and Millstream. They couldn't keep up. The 250 single was the most fun thou. Tires that a guy on a 'guzzi 850 was jealous of and front brakes from an RD400 :D

dave