• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil 12 and B&W Matrix 802

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay, I'll take your opinion on the dual Alpair 7's.I look forward to paper cone, copper cap, square wired alpair 6 gen 2 to make an open baffle ambiophonic (no software) demonstrator.
Norman

Hi Norman,
Along with the Alp12's, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the range and emissive properties of the Alp7's. I can't claim the drivers will be 100% in every room situation, but their dispersion characteristics are being recognised and welcomed.

Have you got a design project in mind for the Alpair 12's?

Cheers

Mark.

Hiya Mark,

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

I like the pencil design, built in baffle step.
I'm mailing my drivers off to my carpenter tomorrow.
I'm still unsure on wheter to use 13 layer 3/4" oak ply using a wood cap wrapped in a speaker fabric sock (quick and cheap) or the birch (if he can get that wood) with finger joints.

Months from now I will get another alpair 12 to make a center channel.

Norman

The Pensil12s?

planet_10 hifi

If you check back in a few days there is a more comprehensive document going up that includes the superPensil12

dave
What's the "super"pensil12?

Between the above work, Scott's plans and madisound on board you're really tempting me but i'd love to see a version of the A12 with a Higher Sensitivity (coil option), so long as it doesn't come at the expense of a electrocardiogram looking top end.

Hi Dave,

I have bought a pair of Alpair 12. I had initially planned to build Pensil 12. Yesterday one of the forum member pointed me out that why not I build a Super Pensil. Then I checked the Super Pensil 12 and found that Super Pensil 12 is bigger than Pensil 12.

What is the difference between the Pensil 12 and Super Pensil 12 w.r.t sound-quality and performance?

Thanks,
Hemanth.

Well, they're completely different cabinet types, with completely different goals and presentations, so comparisons would be meaningless.

Sorry for not being more specific on my question. As a newbee on diy speaker, the fullrange is appealing because there is no crossover to worry about. In addition, the pensil and even the Avebury seem easy enough to build. The pensil plans are free but the Avebury are not. I guess I am trying to figure out "what do I get with the Avebury plans". Thus I am looking for some sort of high level comparisons/impressions between the two designs. Thanks.

Sorry for not being more specific on my question. As a newbee on diy speaker, the fullrange is appealing because there is no crossover to worry about. In addition, the pensil and even the Avebury seem easy enough to build. The pensil plans are free but the Avebury are not. I guess I am trying to figure out "what do I get with the Avebury plans". Thus I am looking for some sort of high level comparisons/impressions between the two designs. Thanks.

As Scott implied above - apples to grapefruit, but from a pure construction point of view I'd hazard a guess that while the bracing scheme shown for the Super Pensil might be seem a bit daunting to newbee diy speaker builder, it's probably still a bit less work (and mass) than the Avebury. (as I'm currently almost recovered from a case of sciatica that left me bedridden for 3 days, the mass issue is fresh on my mind )

I've built my own fair share of Dave & Scott's designs, and can offer the advice that you really need to consider the venue in which the system will be operating as well as your listening habits/needs before committing time and treasure to one that's not a good fit.

Case in point: one of the above named team's designs is prototype small BLH that was built with quick change driver mounting plates to both test for proof of concept of the enclosure, as well as assess performance of 3 candidate full range drivers (MA CHR & EL70 / new Fostex FE126En). In a small basement room all 3 drivers were almost unlistenable, but in an upstairs space theoretically too large, the design just blossomed - voice range colorations and particularly muddy bass articulation disappeared in the larger space. OTOH, a mid-sized stand-mount single driver (Fonken Prime with FE127E) excels in the small space, but lags behind a bit in the dynamics department in the large room when driven by a 3-4W tube amp.

Adding to Chris' comments

Compadres, I have also built a fair share of different cabinets with the Mark Audio drivers. I am a big fan of horn loading due to the very grand and open sound, but with something like the Avebury, you need space, biiig room at least 5-6 metres from the speaker. We have built a similar design of Scotts, called the Wagner (Picasa Web Albums - Kurt - hiQ design), get the picture? Wagner operas are no good in cramped spaces.

Avebury = minimum 11ft listening distance, room preferably minimum 20ft x 15ft. It's designed for big spaces.

You get a 6ft tall high gain double-mouth back-horn, which would retail at anything from £6,000 upward depending on cabinet work. Avebury sounds as it looks: big (when called to do so), and majoring on dynamic range & power-response.

Last edited:
The best space i have for a Avebury is 18.5ft x 13ft with a 8' opening to another room on one long wall and a 5' opening on the short wall if that counts for anything? In as much as i like the high gain dblh and that it's a easy build for me, i'm guessing the standard or supper pencil would couple better with the room thus yielding better end results?
Nevertheless, i'm still waiting to see if a higher sensitivity version of the A12 will happen.

Screws? Not a good idea with horns. Glue, precision placement & lots of clamps is what you need. I'd be wary WRT the accuracy of Home Depot's cuts too. They're an easy build from the POV that there are no fancy angles involved, but precision is still required, & the panels need to be square, so I'd anticipate you needing to true the panels after you get them home if HD cut them for you.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.