Induction planars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just read about induction AC motors. The same principle could be used with planars?

My idea is to combine a membrane made by thin aluminum foil and electromagnet generating variable magnetic field through the foil. Variable magnetic field generates eddy currents on the foil and move it. The foil can be mounted several ways to minimize resonances.

No need for expensive magnets. Possible with good sensitivity, I doubt. But anyone tested this? :)

Hi Api,

i doubt that induction AC-motors will be appropriate for a sound-transducer.

On one side they have strong coils to provide high force, but the coils are really heavy weight, compared to a voice coil of a dynamik speaker.

I have some experience with those engines, since i developed NC-machines using this technology. The performance is incredible and for frequencies lower than about 60 Hz it would be possible to drive ANY membrane, noway which weight it got. Thos engines can accelerate up to 50 times the gravity !!

capaciti

dnsey said:

I don't think he means to use an actual motor (as in rotary machine), but to design a speaker using the same theoretical principles.

Yep.

I made a quick test. Used a few inches diameter coil having 10 turns. It was glued on paper. Then put small piece of aluminum foil on it. Drove the coil with my audio amplifier.

I got small sound out of the coil on paper. However adding aluminum foil didn´t increase volume at all. Maeby you really need to have huge currents or much more turns.
:smash: :bawling: :whazzat: :confused:

But anyway... this was just the first test. ;)

You need to apply the 'left hand rule' (I think: I'm rather shocked that I don't remember such a fundemental thing clearly:cannotbe: ).
Anyway, basically the foil needs to be at right angles to the coil diameter in order for the fields to interact.

OTOH, perhaps I'm envisioning your setup incorrectly!

A induction treble unit was described 1961 in an American DIY
magazine, dont remember which, and the same speaker was
later patented.

I shall see if I can find the patent number.

It has an interesting property, the eddy currents that is induced in the aluminium sheet/membrane forces it to exactly follow the
signal input!

Inductive drive units were very common in Germany in the 1920ies and 1930ies. These systems (called Freischwinger) were used for the mass market, in contrast to the sonically superior dynamic drives. There were even planars, similar to the NXT speakers in our times.

Re: Double the Hifi?

misterears said:
A true magnetless induction transducer is unfortunately a frequency doubler since it has no way of discriminating the polarity of the induced field (which is why a permanent magnet is needed as a reference unchanging field).

True. But maybe it's possible to predistort the signal in the way that current through the coil follows the next formula:

a x V(t) = I x dI/(dt) , where

a = scale factor
V(t) = signal level as a function of time
I = current from PA ~ first magnetic field
dI/dt = derivative of the current ~ derivative of the second magnetic field

(dI/dt ~ induced voltage over almost constant resistance ~ induced curent ~ second magnetic field. )

I see this very hard to realize by analog predistorter since constant signal level cause more or less t^(1/2) shaped function for I. But digital... GNU Octave would be the easiest way to test such algorithms? :cool:

One other thing... To make system more effective one could generate more eddy currents by modulating signal with some sort of (triangle?) pulses above hearing frequency ~20kHz. Er....:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.