Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2017, 08:51 AM   #1101
sergiu2009 is offline sergiu2009  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_2770 View Post
I do not know if it's good with the bass speaker facing the floor. The speakers must be coupled to the floor, but in your case the pressure that is formed will push up the speakers. A mp3 bass test from youtube show you what I say.
Thanks Vlad,
You are perfectly right and i know what you are saying, but that is the case for bellow 6 cm (the bass was insane and making me sick and the woofer membrane was moving hard). I measured it and listened and readjust and then fineadjust.. After a couple of trial days i came to the 10cm sollution. Look at support feets, they are 5 pcs made from 2 cm plywood (i dont know how its named in english) resulting10cm. Now, at 10cm, the woofer membrane its barely moving when its facing the floor (about 1 to 2mm maximum from a total of 5mm xmax) at half volume (19w) on an youtube bass test, it looks like it moves like its upfiring. Now the bass is just perfect for my listening sessions (i love especially live concerts, jaz, vocals, opera, vocal trance and rarely som rap).
Vlad, your observation would have been good if i had posted what i wanted to do from the begining and asking some advice...it would have saved me allot of time (no kidding).
Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 09:02 AM   #1102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
Woo serg those bins are insanely big you must be able to give a party for sure when they are done ! I myself are working on these YouTube itsy bitsy smaller hehe
I shure do. I cannot go higher than 10-15w without being in the other room or with some cottone in the ears. Normally i listen to 2-4w in the afternoon and night and 4-10w max in the day when its noise outside. I dont like to listen to loud music...
Those speakers of yours Wrine are indeed something. I just love them. They sound gorgeus and that is the music that i like most. Cant whait to see what encloshure you make for them.
Cheers
Sergiu
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:23 AM   #1103
diyAudio Member

Here they are. The bass speakers are almost ready. Still have to wait to completely dry. I have used enameled black this time. Looks pretty good, better than the pics are showing. Still waiting for the other components to arrive from different suppliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1316.jpg (928.9 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1318.jpg (898.2 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1264.jpg (873.9 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1263.jpg (340.6 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1252.jpg (969.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1339.jpg (356.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 15096145154581334561778.jpg (909.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:06 PM   #1104
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

looking good serg ! kind of a PA meets high end BIG bold sub! nice paint btw high gloss ?
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:14 PM   #1105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
looking good serg ! kind of a PA meets high end BIG bold sub! nice paint btw high gloss ?
Thank you my friend,
Yup, high gloss enamel black.
Old 30th November 2017, 04:11 PM   #1106
OLEGsan is offline OLEGsan  Belarus
diyAudio Member

Hello.
I'm really impressed by this dynamic RUBANOID.
I want to make a small RUBANOID, 15cm.
Is it necessary to use magnets 40 * 20 * 10 or I can use magnets with the
width of 10 mm (for example 40 * 10 * 10 or 50 * 10 * 10)?
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th November 2017, 07:47 PM   #1107
diyAudio Member

Hi Olegsan,
Yes you can, but then you have to take into account that you have to optimise your metal plates accordingly to get a sufficiently high flux for high efficiency. As an example, please take a look at the pic that i posted bellow from the net with a disassembled Lineaum tweeter (wich is practically a small rubanoid speaker).
Here you can see how thin the plates are to get sufficient efficiency with smaller ( inevitably weaker) magnets.
In the past i have tested with succes smaller ruba membranes on my 52cm gap and my conclusion was: the smaller the ruban membrane the higher it goes with the rolloff point. To be more explicit: with my final 50cm membrane (as i use it now) i can go as low as 150hz (tested) then roll off, but prefered to actually cut it at 220hz (a matter of taste), but with a 25cm long membrane the speaker rolled of in the 600-650hz region.
So if you go smaller you will get actually a very good tweeter (very airy, smooth, opened and detailed) but in this case you will have a real headake with the vertical dispersion. Then you can deal with the verticall dispersion easily with some copper wires and a simple square frame..

Cheers
Sergiu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linaeum02.jpg (60.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 1st December 2017, 05:42 AM   #1108
diyAudio Member

Hello Sergiu.
Thank you very much for your answer.
I have magnets 50х10х10 (from the past project-tape high-frequency)
If I apply these magnets do I need to reduce the thickness of the plates? (I plan to use 6 mm).
Do you recommend reeling the reel? (I understood correctly?)
Bud do 15 cm RUBANOID, I need a good mid-range speaker.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:55 AM   #1109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEGsan View Post
Hello Sergiu.
Thank you very much for your answer.
I have magnets 50х10х10 (from the past project-tape high-frequency)
If I apply these magnets do I need to reduce the thickness of the plates? (I plan to use 6 mm).
Do you recommend reeling the reel? (I understood correctly?)
I will make 15 cm RUBANOID, I need a good mid-range speaker.

Last edited by OLEGsan; 1st December 2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:55 AM   #1110
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Oleg, your last two posts have not been approved as both have no content. They are just quotes of your previous post above.

A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different KindHide this!Advertise here!