How thick for MYLAR???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for help.

I have read about the following method of coating :

Max. of fish line Nylon is dissolved in a boiling vinegar acid.
One drop of liquid soap is added to around 50 ml of solution.
It is then sprayed on mylar film.

However , i could not archieve uniform surface , even when spraying with a compressor.

Maybe it is because only 70% acid has been used.

Has anybody else used this method ?

Lukas

Currently i am using the following :

Attachments

• myhv.gif
    myhv.gif
    4 KB · Views: 214
Hi,

we have a ESL-forum here in Germany. One of the members had very great difficulties with the nylon-coating. Under no circumstances did he get any good results, even though he tried several versions (doped/undoped etc.). His coating didn´t stick well to the diaphragm either (he used Mylar or Hostaphan so the material of the foil wasn´t the point). He eventually changed to a coating I suggested him and since then his ESL worked as supposed to. I´d regard to change the coating. There are several recipes to be found that seem to work flawlessly, even highly transparent ones (if that´s a decision criterium).
The only reason I´d use Nylon would be to rebuild a Quad with the original sound. In any other case...no!

jauu
Calvin

Hi,

There are many kinds of nylons (polyamids). Some will dissolve in formic acid, others need phenol to dissolve. Both are toxic, especially phenol. Phenol has very low LD50 and can be absorbed through the skin. (one gram phenol can be lethal!)
You should be aware of the properties of the chemicals you're using. If not, don't do it!
The use of soap is to lower the resistance. Pure nylon has a too high resistance for many esls. Unfortunately, the soap molecules tend to migrate to the surface and leave the coating.
There will be some more problems with the recipe you've mentioned, conclusion: not recommended.
Please check the audiocircuit (www.audiocircuit.com), go to electrostatic loudspeakers/materials/coatings.
Here you will find my EC-coating too!

Post #37

there is no need for "C" quality. C is just a calibrated type with lower tolerance on thickness, but standard is not worse.

You can either use "Mylar" or the german brand "Hostaphan". its the same material.

Take a look at

www.shackman.de.

Capaciti,

Thanks for the site. A little difficult to get on and move
about but nice place to visit plus the foils they had.
In the meantime I can get a roll of 46 gauge (11.7)µm
400mm x 300m PVDC (saran) for a good price.

I'm thinking maybe my older ears won't value the thinner
films. Although I seem to be the only one looking like a
madman cupping my ears when an ambulance whizzes by.

Lucius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.