Another DIY Ribbon thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've played with Heil AMT's and ribbons over the years, but the thought I have is to do a ribbon with a field coil. Have any diy'ers attempted this? My idea is to slit a pipe lengthwise and wind a coil in the hollow. The pipe's radius can also act as a simple horn as well. Ideas , pitfalls ?

@ fooeywuffle

The steel is used to focus the magnetic flux lines from the neodymium into the gap.

It is possible to do this as an air core motor. But will require much larger amounts of neodymium.

@ geraldfryjr

Possibly a massively parallel amplifier. They are useful for very low impedances and the ST chip TDA7293. Page 12 and page 15 in the application note covers it quite well.

I finally finished the 4 inch ribbon tweeters. I figure 4 of them is enough! They were a lot of work to make look good. They are over twice as loud as any tweeter I have bought and a lot clearer.

Ray

If brute force doesn't work, your not using enough of it!

Attachments

• TWT1.jpg
    TWT1.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 560
  • TWT2.jpg
    TWT2.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 553
  • TWT4.jpg
    TWT4.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 553
The frame is cheap 2 inch wide channel iron. Magnets sit at a slight angle, but I don't think that matters. Copper pins through sides holds magnets at the proper height. No need to glue them since the power of the N-52 is so strong, they aren't going anywhere.

Transformer: The size of the core is 2 3/16 inches square and no gap. It is wound based on RF tech, so not an easy job. For ribbon resistance of .03 ohm, which is what the ones I made are, the ratio is 17 to 1. just for 36 watts, that is 36 amps on secondary! I used 5 mil copper sheet that is wound so it is a tube when done. layer of foil, wind 16 turns of 2 ea #21, then another foil. Side ends are pinched together and soldered making it a flattened tube. 4 of these in series to complete it. The connection ends of both of the foils has a piece doubled over and soldered. This is because of the high current. I tested it for the amount of voltage it would take with little loss. For 3 Kc lowest frequency, it would take 35 volts RMS, which at 8 ohms is over 150 watts! The ribbon won't even handle that! This has almost 100 percent coupling, and very little loss.

If you want more photo's, and info sent request to fooeywuffle@yahoo.com

Attachments

• TR-C.jpg
    TR-C.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 527
Sorry to ask here but is it very expensive to make a 36" tall ribbon?

I only ask because I have been floating around the idea of either buying some TPL's, buying the 150's from Raal or make my own ribbon. While the DIY sounds like fun I am a bit in fear of wasting more money than it would cost to have the Raal's.

If this is the wrong place o ask this I am sorry also. Just trying to finalize my ideas and go from there.

It's ribbon speaker maded from HDD's magnets. It's very simple and budget-friendly construction for DIY.

Attachments

• готовый.jpg
    готовый.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 207
  • вид сзади.jpg
    вид сзади.jpg
    914.5 KB · Views: 209
  • магнитный зазо&#10.jpg
    магнитный зазо&#10.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 195
  • лента пайка.jpg
    лента пайка.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 173
  • мягкая проклад&#10.jpg
    мягкая проклад&#10.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 338
  • лего вынуто.jpg
    лего вынуто.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 344
  • сборка с лего.jpg
    сборка с лего.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 349
  • установка на ма&#1.jpg
    установка на ма&#1.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 364
  • с магнитами.jpg
    с магнитами.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 370
ky3ne4ik: Once i wanted to do the same with hdd magnets but i had no idea of the magnet arrangement, so i decided to make 4pi ribbon out of a ring magnet harvested from a microwave magnetron. It worked out pretty well except efficiency.
thx a lot for the idea, time to grab my hdd magnets sticking at my door frame :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.