Just opened up ESL-57’s. Now what?

Hello,
Yes I coated with Licron (not Licron crystal, which I could not get). As I remember it was both sides, but it does not really matter whether one side or both IMO.

But I made also a mistake: as you can see on this picture, I retouched the grey paint on the stator edges with Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey model paint. And there are some faint buzzing sounds that one can hear from very close. I contacted Tamiya and they wrote it contains Titanium Dioxide TiO2. On the net I found it is a semiconductor :( titanium dioxide electrical conductivity - Google Search
So probable it creates a leak path. My son can hear the squeak from normal listening distance, I can't :sigh:

Magic of the 57's

I have *ideas*, but am reluctant to "do the work myself"
I have owned mine for 37 years, came out of a Levinson HQD
system (one of 2 in KC area), mine were pulled straight from
the frames, as nude Quads ~ they .are. open sounding... LOLS.

I spoke with Kent @ Electrostatic Solutions, KCMO
(have known him for over 40 years) He is "the man"
one of few, that I would implicitly trust with mine.

**My first instinct was to say ~ please do not touch them ~

Kent detailed me on what was involved... matching the
panels was the biggest challenge (to me). There are many,
sadly too many for me to feel confident moving forward.

That said I inherited a pair of ESL63's needing rebuild,
they sit... I ponder them... as an even bigger challenge.

The image (as shown) was the last time I experienced
the 57 drive by Futterman OTL-3 amps [ M A G I C ]
Every music lover should own a pair of Quad 57s

Attachments

• OTL_quads.jpg
    OTL_quads.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 116
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Update.

Took them apart, cleaned them up and reflowed all the solder joints, cut and re soldered some of the "suspect" wires.

Transformer noise gone!

They are back together and sounding nice - still charging up so will hopefully keep improving.

They will remain like this until I have the courage to do a full rebuild myself.

Suspect they would very much benefit from being re-done. They take a long time to charge up. Plugged them in last night and they took a couple of hours before any sound of merit came out of them.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Glad I held back and did the minimum :)

Yes, the manual that came with them says they charge up in about the same amount of time that the Quad II amp takes to warm up and start playing. So seconds to a couple minutes, not hours. The original coating was never great and is mostly gone on your speakers. But as long as the entire panel is charging up, it won't be effecting the sound quality. It's just an annoyance if you do power them down.

Sheldon

Image.jpeg

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi Sheldon,

Yeah, I saw that :)

And they sure as heck aint doin that...

Thats ok, as long as they work I guess I can just plug them in at night and leave them charging, which is what I did last night. They are from the early 70's, and as you said, the coating is long since gone. I gather it is to help the panels charge/hold a charge?

I'm thinking re-coating is a bit of an art form. And that whatever the material is, likely not readily available.

Thankfully, there are zero marks on either speaker as far as arching goes.

Are you still dealing with a "sizzling" sound? That's likely describing HV leakage that is sometimes accompanied by a violet colored plasma near the rivets that hold the bass panels together. The dust covers are not too difficult to replace. I use 3M window insulation and the 2-sided tape that comes with the kit.

ARCHIVE 200731 8764.JPG

The coating allows the charge to collect on the diaphragm from the high voltage supply. That charge is what is pulling the diaphragm back and forth.

You can't really recoat an original quad panel because getting to the diaphragm typically destroys it.

It's available, you can re-make the original coating, but why would you want to? It's been proven that it's not good (you are exhibit 60,000). There are much better modern coatings that hold up over time better.

Sheldon

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Are you still dealing with a "sizzling" sound? That's likely describing HV leakage that is sometimes accompanied by a violet colored plasma near the rivets that hold the bass panels together. The dust covers are not too difficult to replace. I use 3M window insulation and the 2-sided tape that comes with the kit.

View attachment 1006650
The sizzling/buzzing noise is gone, they are no longer making any strange noise other than my sometimes strange musical interests :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
The coating allows the charge to collect on the diaphragm from the high voltage supply. That charge is what is pulling the diaphragm back and forth.

You can't really recoat an original quad panel because getting to the diaphragm typically destroys it.

It's available, you can re-make the original coating, but why would you want to? It's been proven that it's not good (you are exhibit 60,000). There are much better modern coatings that hold up over time better.

Sheldon
Thanks Sheldon,

I realize I wrote that poorly. I don't want to use the original material to recoat, but rather any appropriate material. Does it mean that they will eventually go silent or will the panels take a charge regardless, it will just take a long time for them to charge?