The Perfect ESL?

Has anyone constructed electrostatic speakers based on what's described here?

http://wireesl.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/9/7/24970733/segmented_esl_theory.pdf

The paper relates to a slim floor-to-ceiling wideband ESL design using the concept of a resistive "transmission line", in order to get a near-ideal polar/frequency response, whilst presenting a manageable amplifier load.

Particularly of interest would be the possibility of using a resistive coating on the stators to implement the design.

The issue with DIY ESL's i have is that i am not sure how long they will perform well. This issue can be found with commercial versions also. I found that Acoustat made some very reliable panels and therefore i do not need to make them myself. Only if someone here has enough experience in building long lasting ESL panels i would try building some myself.

The electronics part is not as difficult to master but the voltages need to be respected at all times !

Attachments

• L1060285.JPG
    L1060285.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 25_mei_2008_HS-amp_frank.jpg
    25_mei_2008_HS-amp_frank.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 227
  • YFJM1209.JPG
    YFJM1209.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hi Keithj01

I have searched the web many times trying to find suitable conductive plastic or similar, and failed. Most of the conductive plastics do not have sufficient quality control to give a uniform resistivity, and for any particular design, the range of conductivities that can be used is quite small- perhaps a range of 3:1 at most - so I've not been able to find the right conductivity either. If the conductivity is not quite right, you can play games with the arrangement of slots to get the correct resistance/width. I would like to think that at some time the material does become available. The the ESL could be made simply by punching or milling the holes and placing a single wire down the center of each sheet.

Successful implementations have been with PCBs and with wire stators - mine are PCB (Another segmented ESL). I don't know the total that have been built, but I'm guessing that at least a couple of dozen by various DIYers. A good number have been hybrids. Judging from the comments I've seen, people have been very happy with them. I've only heard mine of course, but the overall sound is very much like the QUAD 2912s, except that the bass is a bit better and the off axis response is way better.

Rob MacKinley at ER audio Electrostatic Loudspeakers By ER Audio has an ESL IV kit based on the design.

Wow - didn't expect to have a response from the "horse's mouth", so to speak.

I can sense that you're slightly frustrated about the lack of availability of the materials for really elegant stator implementations, but nevertheless, the fact that your very first efforts outperform the Quads is pretty impressive (and no need for exotic high-value inductors).

Thanks for the response!