Reduced Output From One Speaker

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a problem with a previously enjoyed set of ML ESL's I purchased a little while ago. When I first noticed reduced output from one of my speakers I got on Google and noticed some posts about reduced output from the ESL panels and the steps you could follow to correct that. In fact, when I contacted ML service the instructions they sent me focused solely on the ESL panel. After following those instructions with no results I broke out REW and my calibrated mic. To my surprise it was one woofer that was 6db lower at 200hz. As you can see in the attached sweep below I do indeed have a woofer issue. Now I'm left with determining all the potential causes of this issue and then see if it's within my skillset to correct it. If you have an idea for a possible cause of this issue your opinion is welcome.

Regards,
Dan

attachment.php

Attachments

• 500Test.jpg
    500Test.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 196
If it is the ElectroMotion ESL, it has a single forward firing woofer.
First troubleshooting step would be to remove and swap woofers to see if the problem follows the woofer, or stays with the cabinet.

If it is the ElectoMotion ESL X, it has 2 woofers, one on the front, on on the rear.
There are more woofers to swap, but the same process will isolate the problem to either a woofer, or the crossover in the cabinet.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it is the ElectroMotion ESL, it has a single forward firing woofer.
First troubleshooting step would be to remove and swap woofers to see if the problem follows the woofer, or stays with the cabinet.

If it is the ElectoMotion ESL X, it has 2 woofers, one on the front, on on the rear.
There are more woofers to swap, but the same process will isolate the problem to either a woofer, or the crossover in the cabinet.

I pulled the suspect woofer today. No loose connections, nothing burnt inside or looking suspicious. I'm waiting to hear back from ML. If they want $1k for a replacement woofer then I'm not going to put in the effort. I'll just have to live with it or look at one of the speaker repair houses.

Regards,
Dan :)

P.S. It's just the one woofer ESL.