Ribbon (traced direct drive) vs Transformer drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi peeps ! happy new year.

well i talked to Gerald already about the transformers, and there are many threads about making one.

i managed to make several with different results in impedance presented to the amp so i know i can make one :) (also tried different combinations prim vs sec, with the same ratio)

But i rather ask this question and maybe its a stupid one :) but might save me time making 1000 transformers :) looking for the holy grail that might not exist because of ....physics :)

People asked many times why not use a transformer instead of my traced ribbon (a ribbon with traces just like a planar magnetic) it looks like everyone including me thinks/thought it might benefit the efficiency.
But is it actually ? If by any miracle my transformer impedance would be 4 ohm flat (i made a few and got 3.7 and rising worked fine), just like my traced one here (almost flat actually not sure why it rises slightly) PIC1

would one be louder then the other ? the only reason i could think of is (weight) being able to use 7 micron alu or 4 and it functions as membrane and conductor. are there any others? since all the ones i made with different transformers etc are within 2 db compared to the traced version, that might be only the weight difference.

Only when i would dip under 2-4 ohm they would be much louder.... but that same would be te case if i made my traced one go so low.

i know with small true ribbons, tranny is the only way. but for long ones 90cm+ it seems to be not much of a difference.

am i missing something ? i mean current driven ok, but the amplifier will dish out the same amount of current in both occasions. 4 ohm with tranny vs 4 ohm without tranny, both have the same power going to the device in question

Attachments

• impedance.jpg
    impedance.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you had a chance to compare SQ IRL? Leaving out a lot of copper / L is an advantage - no?

Ultimately you have loss in a trafo so that could never be better - but very low impedance in the end makes them necessary - no?

Where are you now driver wise in your quest? I always admired all your projects!

Happy Happy :)

//

Well thank you !

SQ IRL ?? im not sure what that means :) but i did try several combinations on the primary and or secondary both ending up in a decent 3.7 ohm going up to like 6-8 ohm or something in the top end. (so the top end is a bit more efficient in terms of power used, when the FR is equal)

But yeah if a true ribbon is used a transformer is a must (or blow allot of power in a resistor when the magnets are strong enough to compensate) since i always use affordable magnets :) i cant go resistor route. but my big ribbons consist of traces just like the apogee ones, you start at trace number one then feed it back down by means of a good conductor outside the field and feed it into the second one etc etc. so i can make any (well only if the ribbon is long enough) resistance i want. for the tranny version i indeed beefed up all connection wires and transformer conductors to parallel 1.5mm2 copper. results remains the same as my traced version within a dB or 2.

Driver wise i am all over the place as usual, trying this and that. still hoping all i learn might go into a driver in the end i actually use haha.

ah :) haha . well im rather liking the big ribbons. but they have there downside. not being efficient and well vertical dispersion, but thats what you get with long units that are not 2 meter long :)

still might be possible to make a affordable nice sounding set. with cheap components :) always a point on everything i make.. not a choice actually haha.

but it is nice to have a few rules and then see what you can do :)

ill try to get some friends to listen to them see what they think. since well i might be biased so i cant wait until i can participate with these DIY audio meetings, see what others think

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.