Problem with Martin Logan ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Need some help with my Martin Logan esls. One speaker is playing noticeably lower. Tried switching the channels, but it remained the same. So electronics are ok. Swapped speaker position - problem moved with the speaker.
I need to keep the balance knob almost a 3'o clock position to get sound coming from the middle. The problem speaker seems to be playing everything, just lower in volume.
DC resistance of speakers measures 6.4R for both.

Suggestions please?

How old are they, and did you have them disconnected from mains for a while??
It´s not uncommon for older panels to go "weak", if you for instance disconnect them, go on vacation an reconnect them when coming back :(
Only solution I know of is panel exchange.

I had not heard before and that disconnecting an ESL for an extended period would cause it to deteriorate. Do you have any more info on that?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
OP's panels are only 6 years old, so I wouldn't expect them to have accumulated so much dirt that a shower is necessary.

If you play a steady sound, when you scan your ear across the whole panel, are certain sections louder than others? Or is it a lower level overall from the whole panel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.