ESL 57 with Marantz 1030???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Very current limited amplifier (same power at 4 and 8 ohms), so don't push it very hard.
Remember the Quads are refined, not loud. Let them charge up overnight first.

Attachments

• quad_impedance_graph.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you!

Crazy curve...

So, IF, and I repeat, IF, I don't turn them up, in theory I'm not going to damage anything?

These are early 70's speakers, not sure what/if that matters?

(Want ro run them with my EL34 amp - but it needs some service before I can use it)

And seeing as how I just got these speakers, would like to hear them :)

And what is the reason for letting them charge up overnight?

Thanks again,

P

Joined 2011
Depending on their condition, they may take that long to charge to a proper operating state.
Until then they could have a very low acoustical output, but that does not mean that you just
turn up the amplifier. That would do damage.

Bear in mind that the Marantz could fail or oscillate, and damage the speakers due to the loading.
A tube amp is going to be much more suitable. Remember the Quads will not play loudly regardless
of the amplifier used, and can be easily damaged by trying to do so. If used within their limits though,
they are extremely good speakers.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Not at all, but the amp should be turned off before connection to the speakers.
Make sure the volume control is at minimum before turning the amp on.
Play them at low volumes only, esp if you are used to Klipsch. Good luck.

The speakers stay plugged in and turned on at all times, like a clock.
Plug each speaker's power cord directly into the wall socket.
You don't turn them on and off along with the amplifier.

Attachments

• Quad-ESL-57-Owners-Manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Listening at low volume for the next few hours until they come up to full charge.

Best to not use them at all, until both speakers seem to be at full level. You could be clipping the amplifier,
while generating very little volume due to incomplete charging. These speakers are extremely delicate,
and must be used with great care, repeat great care, at all times. This cannot be emphasized too strongly.
Ignore the flickering neon lights. Talk to Sheldon (above) if you have any difficulties, or need repairs.

An output capacitor coupled amplifier could cause LF abberations, due to the speaker's impedance curve.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you both! Lamp is back on. Power cord is iffy... Looks like the plug has some connection issues - plug isn't grabbing on properly to the pins in the speaker. Same problem on both speakers.

Put a new cord to the plug and triple checked continuity and its as it should be.Been listening at low volume intermittently while I've been working on a desktop amp I'm making/experimenting with.

These things sure do sound nice!!!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I can't wait to hear them with my tube amp!!!

And no, would never hook them up to any experimental amp, especially one I'm just cobbling together

From what little research I've done into these, I've come to understand that I need to do much more :)

Especially before I clean them up and replace the boards as per online recommendations. Caution and best practices must be adhered to!!!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Appreciate that advice!

Was planning on starting with the legs!

They did not come with feet/legs so they are sitting on milk crates at them moment...

Plan is to make the taller style legs that are integrated with the side panels. Will give me some design options for colour schemes:) Grills are black, think these were made in 73' based on serial numbers???

Grills are in fairly good condition based on what I've seen online.

IMG_1003.jpeg

Joined 2011
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.