New planar drivers at Parts Express

Has anyone measured the little 3.5" tweeter?
Dayton Audio PTMini-6 Planar Tweeter 6 Ohm
Sensitivity doesn't look great, no idea about distortion. But I'm wondering how a couple of these would do with 8" planar slim on either side?

I have: Neo3-Off BG vs GR vs Sounderlink.

Its a cool driver but it does not have a lot of membrane area so it needs to be crossed at steep at 5-6 khz or higher (can't find the measurements right now sadly). At this point your 1/4 wavelength is 1.7 cm so the ideal distance between the PTMini and the Slims would now be less than 1.7 cm. And the distance between the Slims also preferably below 1.7 cm.

That's just not possible. Even if you say OK lets make it 1/2 wavelength that is still 3.4 cm, which is still less than what is possible. The least possible would be the would be 4 cm so you start to have problems with integration. You might be able to hide them by crossing super steep but at this point what if all those workarounds to integrate the PTMini make things worse than just running the Slim 8" as a tweeter?

And crazy overall sensitivity. Active DSP systems could really sing with this driver I think. I'm toying with the idea of 6-8 per side in a line array.

Is passive crossover design/expense going to be unreasonably taxing to tame those peaks? Even the Neo versions seem to have a 10-12 dB peak compared to say 1kHz baseline, but the GRS versions seem to have extra 5-6 dB peak on top of that to tame :eek:

I have: Neo3-Off BG vs GR vs Sounderlink.

Its a cool driver but it does not have a lot of membrane area so it needs to be crossed at steep at 5-6 khz or higher (can't find the measurements right now sadly). At this point your 1/4 wavelength is 1.7 cm so the ideal distance between the PTMini and the Slims would now be less than 1.7 cm. And the distance between the Slims also preferably below 1.7 cm.

That's just not possible. Even if you say OK lets make it 1/2 wavelength that is still 3.4 cm, which is still less than what is possible. The least possible would be the would be 4 cm so you start to have problems with integration. You might be able to hide them by crossing super steep but at this point what if all those workarounds to integrate the PTMini make things worse than just running the Slim 8" as a tweeter?

Perhaps., I'd have to check the dimensions. I was thinking of having the tweeter behind the larger planars (some extra delay on the tweeter would be good anyway) peeking between them. Multiple tweeter in line array might be able to cross lower.

This really has me thinking about a line source using my minidsp 4x10. What would you use for tweeters? The Slim 8 looks attractive given the price, even over their version of the Neo3.

Don

I'm really hooked on the hypex fusion series of plate amps. The price is very good considering the power output and DSP functionality you get. I'd honestly do a bunch of subtractive eq to the slim 8 and try it as a tweeter first. Running a line array comb filters the hell out of the top octave in most designs anyway. Run it from about 850 all the way up. Maybe lower in a line array. Solid output to 15khz might work for you.

Last edited:
I was thinking a line source of GRS PT5010-8 10" running down to say 250 Hz or whatever they can go down to, with the Slim 8 line beside it doing 1-3k above that. The minidsp would allow me to play with crossover and room interaction.
Not sure i totally understand comb filtering however, but i know what the result looks like on frequency.

Don

I have been a BG fan for years. I use two RD75s in my home theater next to 8 x RS225 woofers open baffle per side.

For side surrounds, I have been using Coax 10" speakers similar to the Volt, placed up high because I have a very narrow room (11') and 3 seats across. Wanting to add Atmos speakers, I understand that the high side surrounds are not ideal. So I have been thinking of a very shallow line array.

With the price of Neo8s, I was thinking I might just settle for a clone of the BG Radia SA-320 which uses two Neo8s in wmtmw arrangement with a Neo3 and two 5.25" woofers.

But now with these new offerings, I am thinking a full line array of 8 x GRS 8" planar slims next to 16 x 4" woofers like the Lavoce WSF041.00. These would be crossed over to subs at 80Hz. The woofers would be in a very shallow box of about 3.5" deep and 10" wide which gives a net volume of about 1 liter per driver. Some other woofers I've looked at include the Dayton Audio TCP115-8, but it is out of stock. Any comments appreciated.

Spoke to the OH yesterday and just placed my order for enough Slims to make a stereo pair of floor to ceiling array. Since seeing StigErik's succes with the RD75, years ago, I have been willing to do something similar, and i think that currently it is only these Slim units that can actually come close to the RD75.

RD75 went lower, I think StigErik used it to around 200Hz, Slims can't do that.

I will compliment them with the cheap WS25e woofer from Visaton. This unit has been used in quite some dipole projects and I have enough to make a mono line array (thinking about 9 to 10 units per side).

Now does anyone know where I can buy some time? :)

But now with these new offerings, I am thinking a full line array of 8 x GRS 8" planar slims next to 16 x 4" woofers like the Lavoce WSF041.00. These would be crossed over to subs at 80Hz. The woofers would be in a very shallow box of about 3.5" deep and 10" wide which gives a net volume of about 1 liter per driver. Some other woofers I've looked at include the Dayton Audio TCP115-8, but it is out of stock. Any comments appreciated.

How do the Lavoce WSF041.00 compare to the GR Research 6.5" mid-woofers with an FS of 39Hz ?

Any reason to use one over the other in a line array ?

M-165 woofer

Last edited:
I am using these in a very shallow monopole in-wall array. I only have about 3.5" of box depth to work with. So the 4" Lavoce driver works well in a 1 liter enclosure and is only 47mm deep. If I were going to use these for open baffle or in a larger room, I would not hesitate to use a larger driver. I use 8 x 8" Dayton RS225s next to each RD75 that I have. At one point, I was using 4 x 15" woofers next to the RD75s.

I have not yet placed an order. I was having some second thoughts about the total price. While the GRS planars and the Lavoce drivers are relatively inexpensive, when you add up 16 of one and 32 of the other, it starts to add up. I already have 4 Neo8pdrs and some Neo3s so I may still use them in a wmtmw arrangement. I just have to decide on woofers. BG used 2 5.25" woofers in their commercial offering. I may still do a stack of 16 Lavoce 4" woofers next to the mtm BG Neos. It is hard to beat the total output capability in the limited space constraint.

well, that is interesting. Just checked, all other units are apparently still in stock. I think the slim is indeed a unique unit with its nice extended range. I do have 28 of them now. Not really the time to do a project right away, but afraid that the prices may go up in the near future.

At least for me it is because wide doesn't have as good dispersion on the top end and needs a separate tweeter, the slim doesn't*.

*As long as enough drivers in a line are used such that the limited vertical dispersion isn't an issue.

The only off-axis SLIM-8 results (that I have seen) appear to be from covering up the outside slots on a wool/felt baffle. Wouldn't this have the same effect on the normal 8's ???

887523d1603641438-planar-drivers-express-dsc_0604-jpg

887526d1603641491-planar-drivers-express-grs-8slim-0-90-30cm-wool-baffle-png

Last edited: