New planar drivers at Parts Express

I sure do! Thx.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_185838.jpg
    IMG_20200901_185838.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 4,377
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The 8" "slim" tweeter has better SPL on the spec sheet then the "mid/tweeter" under 2kHz

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/272-128--grs-pt6816-8-spec-sheet.pdf
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/272-126--grs-pt6825-8-spec-sheet.pdf

That seems counter-intuitive? I would assume a mid range would have more grunt then a tweeter under 2kHz. Any explanation?

Probably a lighter diaphragm -> higher fs thus having higher efficiency but less low frequency output below fs. Same reasons tweeters usually has a higher efficiency than woofers even though the woofer has much more surface area.

<3

I would really love distortion sweeps for them, even better if you have BG Neo8 / S / Neo10 to compare with.

I currently have a half-built dipole CBT with small 2.5" SB65 full range drivers, while it measures pretty good full range there are flaws above 2 khz*. If the 8x 8 or 8 slim in a shaded array (so say effectively 5-6 drivers @ full power) have enough umph to cross @ 400-800 hz then that should net me an extremely good dipole CBT.

Also if I don't have to play high frequencies through the 2.5" drivers I could have bigger baffles for them and build cute mini W-frames to reduce vibration =).

* There is a peak @ 2 khz and a dip @ 3khz on the rear. The rear response is also not symmetric front to back. Above 10 khz there is pretty much no output to the rear of the driver.

Probably a lighter diaphragm -> higher fs thus having higher efficiency but less low frequency output below fs. Same reasons tweeters usually has a higher efficiency than woofers even though the woofer has much more surface area.

probably because they lowered xmax since the foil is held down closer appart. it does mean MAX spl will still be the same or moire likely lower. but efficiency might be higher.

i dont know what i think about PE just destroys the planar market with exact copy of b&G, for next to nothing. since when is this driver a free for all.

although i just posted a less flattering video about the neo 3, these might be better who knows. at least they dont burn there fingers on the neo 3 :)

Last edited:
probably because they lowered xmax since the foil is held down closer appart. it does mean MAX spl will still be the same or moire likely lower. but efficiency might be higher.

i dont know what i think about PE just destroys the planar market with exact copy of b&G, for next to nothing. since when is this driver a free for all.

although i just posted a less flattering video about the neo 3, these might be better who knows. at least they dont burn there fingers on the neo 3 :)

I just checked and realized that the slim 8" is significantly thicker at 12mm vs 8.6 on the non-slim. Possibly thicker magnets to compensate for I guess only 3 rows of magnets instead of probably 5?

Oh they do make a a neo 3 clone. its even the PDR clone.... its almost shamefull the amount of exact the same drivers floating around. in this case they also coppied the use of the felt inside and the felt in between the outer magnets. the only thing they did not coppy is the frequency response. that one looks different and does go to 93dB although only above 4 khz..

GR research might be seeing a drop in sales in there 85 dollar Neo 3 copy .. most likely from the same factory... but they do use kapton instead of an unknown foil used in the GRS, at least i did not find what they used. usualy they are rather proud of using anything else then mylar. although mylar usually functions perfectly fine before distortion sets in anyways.

well he made a nice buck while the shortage lasted. just like many others that drove up the price of a neo 3 to 125 euro even.

by the way there power handling is 20 watts of the neo 3 compared to 12 in the real neo3..who wants to test ? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user