New planar drivers at Parts Express

Someone already fried a GRS3 over at the Audiocircle forums! Went from testing inside to outside and I suspect got a little too carried away with the SPL.

Greg

Attachments

• GRS3 damaged.jpg
    GRS3 damaged.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,657
Haha! I am not the most experienced with measurement of units, but plan a sweep from 400Hz to 20kHz with REW and UMIK. Some absorbing material on floor and ceiling, and because of nude (dipole) measurement I expect little reflections, as there are zeros to all sides.
Expected delivery is one week.

I can make tweeters and measure them faster then you got them delivered ;)

totaly different intentions behind my planar (low efficiency, but flat FR, put them in a small baffle and ur done :) ) even i lack distortion measurements :) as of yet since i made them for some small monitors/bookshelfs that dont go beyond 92-95 dB and i make them specifically for them and they are not quit finished :), i will make some in the end of course :)

here is a version in push pull that i tamed only by acoustical measures (damping and some other methods) for flat and smooth response. no eq used or needed in my opinion. yes you do lose on insane output humps at 15khz or a rising response.. so not suited for horns, since that would result in a bigger downwards slope (like the radian tweeters)

Picture is wilth crossover in place as intended for the small speaker in question at 1300Hz 12db oct. could be upped a bit to make it even smoother though, and play louder without addressing the resonance more then i did.

Blue as is with only padding on the back in my small baffle
brown with extra padding top and bottom on the front to increase vertical dispersion and a slight rolloff in a small baffle

ofcourse i can make up something in between these curves. at the cost of vertical dispersion... or decide horizontal is more important up top and flip it around an should be able to create a lookalike curve

gating is used set to 4 ms. no smoothing used. SPL might be slightly off though. not by much

Attachments

• smoothed acoust.jpg
    smoothed acoust.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,796
  • vlcsnap-2020-10-11-00h54m28s415.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-10-11-00h54m28s415.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,782
  • vlcsnap-2020-10-11-00h56m29s686.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-10-11-00h56m29s686.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,776
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you so much Greg,

If it was a close quality enough of the NeoPro but at the fair price it is sold today, then it could be fun to make a sort of 0.5 way design with two units maybe :) ... to fight the climbing spl curve and re enforce the max output level a little.