New planar drivers at Parts Express

the slim looks to be an longer neo 3. a neo 3 uses thicker magnets then the neo8. and has usually 5 or 3 rows.

they use the same metal layout and even the felt in between the outer rows on this slim version :) so if you want to make a line array , ur better off buying a few of these instead of the neo 3

like one of those is not even 2 the price of a neo 3.... jees.

Last edited:
The 8" slim does indeed look capable of playing up to 20khz. That would be great, as the NEO 8 apparently can't. The loss in the low frequencies is not a problem, as a "normal" woofer can have good dipole characteristics (up to beaming frequency).

Someone knows how to get Parts Express "cheap" in Europe (Switzerland)? Seems shipping price is steep...

The non-slim neo8s kinda works up to 15 khz if you squint a little and cover the outer holes with wool / felt. Probably a better idea to go with the slim though unless it has significantly less low frequency output.

I'll wait until the first distortion measurements of the slim 8 are posted so I can see how low it can be crossed. I hope an array of them can handle 500 hz and then 16 of them goes for $660 including shipping (but excluding Swedish duty fees). Not bad at all compared to how the BG prices have skyrocketed.

Last edited:
GRS drivers arrived today. I'm getting a set of Radian planars too and will measurement them all under the same conditions.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_120726.jpg
    IMG_20200929_120726.jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 1,372
  • IMG_20200929_121137.jpg
    IMG_20200929_121137.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 1,350
The non-slim neo8s kinda works up to 15 khz if you squint a little and cover the outer holes with wool / felt. Probably a better idea to go with the slim though unless it has significantly less low frequency output.

I'll wait until the first distortion measurements of the slim 8 are posted so I can see how low it can be crossed. I hope an array of them can handle 500 hz and then 16 of them goes for $660 including shipping (but excluding Swedish duty fees). Not bad at all compared to how the BG prices have skyrocketed.

I am eagerly waiting as well!

As long as the crossover point looks promising I'd be willing to buy 16 and risk consistency. Mostly because my application would be a shaded dipole CBT so I can demote worse drivers to the shaded part. As long as I get 8 great ones and that the non great ones are not garbage I should be OK. In practice I only need 7 per speaker too so I would have 2 spares.

It'd take more work as I'd have to measure every driver individually and cross them individually but it's not that many, and they do seem to have a pretty flat impedance response so the crossover shouldn't be that hard.

Considering how cheap they are I'd be suprised if there was no consistency issues at all.

Would be interesting to know if these drivers need selection. The german distributor dropped the BG-drivers as they showed very large spread in performance.

A lot of audio components have wide variation as delivered and this is frequently over-looked. Esp in passive crossovers.

So builders need to apply some quality control logic. For example, in XO, just buy extra coils and caps and choose the best matches.

For this drivers, perhaps you'd want 3 units per side. So you can buy 6 and them mix-and-match them to get the two sides equivalent.

Anybody with a good grasp of stats has a sense of how quickly you can smooth variation. Often with three capacitors, two will be reasonably close. Etc.

Footnote: in this kind of matching exercise, you don't need fancy test gear. Just so long as the tests are stable and repeatable, they don't need to be absolutely precise. Actually, nothing but your laptop mic and REW software is needed.

B.

Last edited: