Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

New planar drivers at Parts Express
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2021, 09:20 PM   #151
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima GTR View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Greg. Sounds like a complicated reason for not moving forward with the project...

I'm about to place an order for 16 GRS PT5010-8 10" Planar Mid/Tweeters 8 Ohm and 32 GRS PT2522-4 3-1/2" Planar Tweeters 4 Ohm to create a 6½' tall Line Source. I'm considering making a structure like the IRS V with wings to help with the low end response. It'll be all active with a BSS BLU800 handling the crossover duties.

Thoughts/suggestions of things to think about and consider???

Thanks
Paul
That should be very impressive! Hopefully there's good unit to unit consistency with the 10" units, let alone the 3" units. Tensioning diaphragms perfectly from one unit to the next is very difficult and can create large variations between units if not done correctly. I'm really wondering how they can pull these prices off while still maintaining high QC standards
Old 1st June 2021, 10:10 PM   #152
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
That should be very impressive! Hopefully there's good unit to unit consistency with the 10" units, let alone the 3" units. Tensioning diaphragms perfectly from one unit to the next is very difficult and can create large variations between units if not done correctly. I'm really wondering how they can pull these prices off while still maintaining high QC standards
While I can only attest for the drivers I have, the consistency seems to be pretty good. I bought 17 slim 8" and measured all of them earlier in the thread.

How this transfers to the 10" is another matter but the factory seems to know what it is doing when producing the slim 8"s.
Old 1st June 2021, 11:09 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Thanks for providing a link. I skimmed all the pages for measurements, but somehow missed those
They look good, especially considering that you're using a very expanded vertical scale. Everything seems to go south below 600hz though
If I get a lot of variation in my pair of slims, Ill probably be sending them back. Sadly, my pair of BG Neo 10's had variations that were just too hard to live with(I may have damaged one). My BG neo 3's are fine though. If need be, I can take these up to 800hz with an 8th. I could live with that if it means better consistency

Last edited by Remlab; 1st June 2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2nd June 2021, 03:51 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

I'm really big on soundstage. If there are a lot of variations between single stereo units between 800hz and 5khz, the soundstage has a tendency to swim around between the speakers and that drives me nuts. The nice thing about tall line sources are that all those differences tend to average out and are no longer an issue, in theory anyway
Old 2nd June 2021, 04:04 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Christie must have sold the rights to reproducing these drivers to GRS. It's about time they did. Apologies if someone already mentioned this.
Old 2nd June 2021, 04:10 PM   #156
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Christie must have sold the rights to reproducing these drivers to GRS. It's about time they did. Apologies if someone already mentioned this.
That would be great because the B&G are dreadfully expensive now. On another note, there seems to be foam/felt difference between the NEO8-PDR and GRS slims. I believe the NEO8 has felt on both sides and GRS only has felt on one side (looking at the pictures). Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Old 2nd June 2021, 04:26 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's true. At least on the slims. The felt provides a combination of diaphragm damping and wider dispersion. It's interesting that they did it this way on this model. The slims were never produced by BG Radia, so this is an entirely new model.

Last edited by Remlab; 2nd June 2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 2nd June 2021, 06:46 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Nope. Apparently Christie did not sell the rights. Patents are involved, so this makes it it a pretty interesting situation
Old 4th June 2021, 08:37 PM   #159
A4eaudio is offline A4eaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Per a post on TechTalk forum...

"The planar speaker patents in David Graebener's name, mostly for American Technologies Corporation (now LRAD Corporation), have all either expired due to nonpayment of fees, or have been abandoned. It makes sense, as they don't fit with LRAD Corporation's business direction. By appearances, this material is now in the public domain as prior art."
Old 4th June 2021, 09:38 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

These are actually Igor Levitsky's BG Radia Pantents that were acquired by Christie back in 2013. These drivers were designed around 2005, so there's around four years left on the patent, give or take a few years. Graebener's expired patents were for the famous long planer magnetic drivers
US6810126B2 - Planar magnetic transducer
- Google Patents

Last edited by Remlab; 4th June 2021 at 09:48 PM.

New planar drivers at Parts ExpressHide this!Advertise here!