Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

New planar drivers at Parts Express
New planar drivers at Parts Express
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2020, 09:09 AM   #91
ErikdeBest is offline ErikdeBest  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

These are nice measurements OllBoll, from the equalized curves it looks as if you are planning to let them play HF (no additional tweeter)?

I am still thinking what to do... I think these would make for some very cost effective dipole floor to ceiling array, which I have been wanting to try since I saw StigErik with his 2 way based on RD75 and 21" woofers. RD75 is not being sold anymore, the other B&G stuff became so expensive and they do not have a unit as the 8" slim (that can be used up to 20khz and same some low end as well, the NEO3 does not...).

I do not want to stockpile stuff for another next project, but OTOH afraid that the prices for this unit may increase. I think I will manage to have a listen to a unit tomorrow, maybe that will make decisions easier

Still, very nice to see more measurements that confirm that these units are quite ok. Still looking forward to Studiotech's measurements!
Old 27th October 2020, 08:33 PM   #92
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikdeBest View Post
These are nice measurements OllBoll, from the equalized curves it looks as if you are planning to let them play HF (no additional tweeter)?
Yes, that is exactly what I am planning. I think the Slim 8" would be an awkward driver to not run as a tweeter. If you are crossing to a tweeter then why not just get multiples of the wide 8" so you can cross lower or the bigger 10" so you can cross even lower? And it certainly has good enough dispersion at 10-20 khz so I don't believe a dedicated tweeter is neccesary. It's basically just a very tall Neo3 which is a pretty good tweeter on it's own.

But in my case I've been bitten by the full range bug so I want to avoid a crossover in the 1 khz + range. Every time I've tried (except in a coaxial setup) I have created more problems than I solved, and it got ugly really fast when I started measuring off-axis reponse above and below ear level. With an array of Slim 8" I can cross far below where such issues start to appear which is nice.

I did test my mini-woofer setup and it worked great. The response was great up to 1.2 khz so crossing at 500 hz should be no problem at all. My idea is to basically build a dipole coaxial setup . This of course would be duplicated and stacked on top of each other in the CBT array.

The only reason I haven't yet ordered 14 more of the Slim 8"s is that I have a $25 off any purchase of $250 or more coupon code @ Parts Express that is valid from next sunday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0609.jpg (810.3 KB, 479 views)
Old 28th October 2020, 12:12 AM   #93
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I need to revise my last statement... I just ordered 15 of the slim 8"

I browsed online and found a valid $50 off when ordering $500 or more coupon code and 15 of them is $511.65 so yeah, I clicked purchase =)
Old 28th October 2020, 02:11 AM   #94
Don Adams is offline Don Adams  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 28th October 2020, 11:28 PM   #95
studiotech is offline studiotech  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry I disappeared y'all. It's been super busy at the day job and the side gigs.

Here's a test upload of the NEO10/GRS10 comparison. I want to see if my snapshot looks clear and large enough and then I'll upload some more.

Neo10, sample #1 was set to 95dBSPL at 1ft and all gain settings were left untouched for the rest of the measurements. I've smoothed these snapshots to 12dB/oct.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neo10 GRS10 comparison.jpg (58.6 KB, 404 views)
Old 28th October 2020, 11:49 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

A few more sweeps for comparison.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8inch planar comparison.jpg (62.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg GRS8 GRS8 slim comparison.jpg (53.0 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Neo8S LM8K.jpg (52.1 KB, 368 views)
Old 29th October 2020, 12:42 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Distortion plots. 2nd order is RED and 3rd order is ORG

The original BG NEO8-PDRs kill it as long as you stay above 600-700Hz. Both samples were almost identical. Midrange performance from a simple harmonic distortion perspective is fantastic.

Most disappointed in the Radian, but it's still totally acceptable if you consider most of it's range is still below -40dB down or under 1%. Even some of the other drivers that look like they have a bad spike in the upper midrange are still at least -40dB, so overall pretty usable.

The Slim 8 is the worse of the bunch, as expected, with the highest levels below 1KHz. But used as a line array of tweeters, they sure are a steal.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neo10 distortion.jpg (56.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg GRS10 distortion.jpg (57.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Neo8S distortion.jpg (56.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Neo8PDR distortion.jpg (57.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg LM8K distortion.jpg (57.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg GRS8 distortion.jpg (54.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg GRS8 Slim distortion.jpg (60.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 29th October 2020, 12:44 AM   #98
Don Adams is offline Don Adams  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg! Very similar looking responses. The GRS PT5010-8 has a bigger peak to deal with but overall not bad in comparison.
Old 29th October 2020, 12:46 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Tried to upload the REW .mdat file for you all to use at your leisure, but file uploader says it's too large.

Any ideas?
Old 29th October 2020, 01:31 AM   #100
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone measured the little 3.5" tweeter?
Dayton Audio PTMini-6 Planar Tweeter 6 Ohm
Sensitivity doesn't look great, no idea about distortion. But I'm wondering how a couple of these would do with 8" planar slim on either side?

Last edited by bwaslo; 29th October 2020 at 01:34 AM.

New planar drivers at Parts ExpressHide this!Advertise here!