ESL57 audio transformer wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone , new poster here, I'm currently refurbishing some ESL 57's but I'm having difficulty identifying the post numbering on an early audio transformer(all the panel wires have been removed) The later type have the posts sequentially numbered 1-15 +earth post. With my early type there are 12 posts+ the earth and another 3 on a seperate board.I beleive these are not numered sequentially and I do not want to rewire incorrectly. I would be most grateful for any help.
Dave

In case you hadn't already seen it, Sheldon's ESL57 repair manual is a great resource.
http://quadesl.com/origRefs/quad_book.pdf

Attached are some combined images from the book you may find helpful.
The first image is one I had numbered the posts of the modified 12 + 3 configuration you have to correspond with the later circuit.

The other 2 images are just the earlier 12 post and later 15 post configurations.

Attachments

• ESL57_Old_Mod.png
    ESL57_Old_Mod.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 239
  • ESL57_Old.png
    ESL57_Old.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 213
  • ESL57_New.png
    ESL57_New.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 234
Thats perfect!, that clears up the post numbering and the schematic clarifies what goes where. When it comes to wiring ',ve researced different opinions on what wire to use, currently I have 600v hook up wire 18 swg in the correct colours. Is this ok or should I be using a higher rating, I have 14 swg 10k for the EHT block.

Thanks for the kind words about my old rebuild book. To anybody reading this in the future, that rebuild method is quite dated, and I've improved things a lot since I wrote that.

For wiring, you really need high voltage wire for the bass panels, especially the high voltage polarizing wire that goes from the power supply to the panels. I generally recommend re-using the factory wire if possible. The wires clean up pretty nice, as you can see from the picture below:

http://quadesl.com/diyaudio/IMG_6107.JPG

If the high voltage wire reuse isn't an option, I'd suggest that you use Pomona test lead wire. It is good to 10KV and is fairly inexpensive due to the fact that you don't have to buy a 1000ft spool:

Digikey link

Hope that helps,
Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.