source for 6um mylar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new here, but have lurked enough to know i want to repair my ML Aerius, which have lost their higher freqs. I recoated them but they still sound muddy, so I want to replace the mylar, foam tape, copper tape, and recoat with Licron.

I have searced, but have not found a source for 6 um mylar, which I *believe* was the thickness of the original film.

Any help is apprciated, as is any discussion of the effect of 3 um, 12 um and/or different tape thickness.

and/or different tape thickness.

If you're asking about changing the diaphragm-to-stator spacing to a significant degree, I would not recommend that. The bias requirements would change, as would the voltage sensitivity of the electrostatic section (which would alter the frequency balance - assuming you want to use the passive crossover in the speaker). While all of these things can be dealt with, it's a bit of an undertaking if you're not familiar with all the subsystems you'll have to modify.

If you liked the Aerius before it had problems, I'd just stick to fixing the problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.