Electrostatic Speaker and Amplifier Clipping

Have you ever heard these working for more than a few minutes?
Apparently if a USA 60Hz version (yours?) is played on 50Hz (even with correct voltage stepped down to 110VAC), the mains-frequency detect circuit causes the HV to shut off after a while...

That phrase is not understood, could you clarify?

Does this "network frequency detection circuit" belong to the OP's ELS?

Do they work with the frequency of the network?

For years I used a General Electric 110V 60Hz refrigerator.
It always lacked a bit of cold, until the compressor burned out. When it was changed by a 220 volt 50 Hz compressor, the difference in speed of the synchronous motor solved lack of cold. The importer had limited himself to installing a 220 to 110 volt transformer, ignoring this technical detail ........
That said, an electrostatic speaker can be affected by the phase difference of the electrical network ? :confused:

Wow !

"USA models of SL3 (and other MLs) have a gray-market discouraging (private exporting) mains frequency-sensing circuit which wants to see the actual 60Hz, or it acts up....(and I think you have 50Hz in Chile?)
Bolserst discussed it in one of our threads and how to defeat it. Here:
Martin Logan Montis Power Supply Board Help "

Thanks for making it clear !
I don't understand what the ML benefit is from doing this ....
Private or not, it is supposed to be one more sale of their products, and thus they only complicate things (discredit) with that contraption .....

My crossover is exactly the same as the one in the last photo (right one)…
Does your crossover include the small Limiter board circled in the attached pic?
If so, this may be the cause of your amplifier shut-down on musical peaks. The limiter board clips the peak of waveforms above a thresholds by shorting across the primary of the transformer. This clamping behavior can drop the impedance down to between 2 and 1 ohm over majority of the mid and treble range. Its purpose is to keep the air in the gap from ionizing and creating ozone, which is unhealthy and can cause the diaphragm coating to fail more rapidly with time.

To test, you can simply disconnect one of the wires leading to the board to see if the shutdown stops. I wouldn’t recommend operating the speakers on a regular basis like this, but running it disconnected to help isolate the problem won't be a problem. Then again, some diyAudio members say they run their ML speakers without them all the time.

More details on the limiter in this thread: Martin Logan SL3 crossover

Attachments

• SL3_Limiter.png
    SL3_Limiter.png
    763.2 KB · Views: 105
Joined 2004
Paid Member
About the AC frequency-sensing circuit in ML speakers, the way I remember the story is that European ML dealers were seeing more and more privately imported ML's from USA and were being asked to service them under warranty, and the dealers revolted and demanded that ML do something to help regain those lost sales, and this circuit mostly accomplished that...