Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

OB line array to match Apogee mid/treble ribbon
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2020, 07:20 AM   #1
deepmatt is offline deepmatt
diyAudio Member

Default OB line array to match Apogee mid/treble ribbon

I have a pair of Apogee Centaur Minors and whilst I like the mid and treble ribbon the bass from the 6.5" isn't the best.

As a project I was thinking of building open baffle line source of woofers to go with the Apogee Ribbons.

Just wanting advice, resource etc. to help me select appropriate woofers, baffle dimensions, crossovers etc. to get the best integration between woofer array and ribbons.

Cheers

Matt
Old 8th July 2020, 09:47 AM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Been done by PJBlakey. I wanted to do the same to mine but came to the conclusion my room isn't big enough. I've attached a pic of his build and if I get time will search out the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PJBcentaur.jpg (415.6 KB, 309 views)
Old 8th July 2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

A few years ago, I bought some Hawthorn Audio Augie 15" as a backup/replacement for my Apogee Stage bass panels should they die, thankfully the Hawthorns are still gathering dust.

Although not a line array, its an interesting alternative; the article has lots of useful information
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf
I think most people chose the Eminence Alpha-15A

Picture of a single driver SLOB
The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

I'm still debating OB or SLOB Hawthorns with some B&G ribbons
Old 8th July 2020, 11:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oooooh I like the look of PJBlakey's one. I wonder if they sounded good. Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it out.

Cheers

Matt
Old 17th July 2020, 03:24 AM   #5
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Iíve been very happy with the line array portion of this project. A smaller version might work well for you. For open baffle bass you need volume displacement capacity, and probably equalization.
Few
Old 17th July 2020, 02:54 PM   #6
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Matt: I would PM PJBlakey. He was posting here a couple of days ago so should pick up and respond. he was very happy with it at the time at least until the wood split.
Old 17th July 2020, 11:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I just realized my post wasnít completely clear (although Iím not sure itís important). I meant Iíve been happy with the vertical array of six 8Ē woofers, none of which are really designed for open baffle use. With enough drivers, they can handle the equalization necessary to flatten the bass response without running out of linear displacement. Iíve been happy with the planar magnetic line array as well, but thatís not particularly relevant to this thread.

Few
Old 4th August 2020, 11:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Few - I'm not sure what project your are referring to - is there a thread related to your project?

Thanks

Matt
Old 5th October 2020, 11:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I just came across your post.

Yes the thread was linked to the "this" in my first post. Here it is again, this time hopefully easier to see (sorry to hide it last time):

DIY planar magnetic + open baffle woofer array

Few
  Reply to this post

OB line array to match Apogee mid/treble ribbonHide this!Advertise here!