OB line array to match Apogee mid/treble ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Apogee Centaur Minors and whilst I like the mid and treble ribbon the bass from the 6.5" isn't the best.

As a project I was thinking of building open baffle line source of woofers to go with the Apogee Ribbons.

Just wanting advice, resource etc. to help me select appropriate woofers, baffle dimensions, crossovers etc. to get the best integration between woofer array and ribbons.

Cheers

Matt

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Been done by PJBlakey. I wanted to do the same to mine but came to the conclusion my room isn't big enough. I've attached a pic of his build and if I get time will search out the thread.

Attachments

• PJBcentaur.jpg
    PJBcentaur.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 387
A few years ago, I bought some Hawthorn Audio Augie 15" as a backup/replacement for my Apogee Stage bass panels should they die, thankfully the Hawthorns are still gathering dust.

Although not a line array, its an interesting alternative; the article has lots of useful information
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_slob.pdf
I think most people chose the Eminence Alpha-15A

Picture of a single driver SLOB
The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

I'm still debating OB or SLOB Hawthorns with some B&G ribbons

Sorry, I just realized my post wasn’t completely clear (although I’m not sure it’s important). I meant I’ve been happy with the vertical array of six 8” woofers, none of which are really designed for open baffle use. With enough drivers, they can handle the equalization necessary to flatten the bass response without running out of linear displacement. I’ve been happy with the planar magnetic line array as well, but that’s not particularly relevant to this thread.

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.