Has anyone played with NXT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Steve don’t you ever sleep, its like 4.39am its light outside!
I have to say on a personal note I think your designs are fantastic, more than a little time consuming am sure but I believe that the interior of any enclosure is more important than the exterior, well for us DIYers anyway, The Bandor units are so modest and unknown by the mass market, that’s what I love, There the quite hero’s of quality sound! Did Doreen really work for Goodmans?
Have you ever used Bill’s Woodman’s super dome in your speakers! I think its good but over rated and expensive!

Paradise_Ice said:
Steve don’t you ever sleep ...
Hi and thanks for your remarks about the speakers.

My last post was at 2.30am here so it's not that bad. I am a 'night person' though.

Doreen really worked at Goodmans. That was where she met, and later married, Ted Jordan (although the ceremony didn't take place in the factory :) ).

Ted was their chief designer whilst Doreen's job was between the designers and the shop floor workers to make sure that the designs were manufactureable.

Doreen still makes drive units today, of course, and IMO they're as good as it gets. I haven't tried Bill Woodman's super dome. Bandor also have an experimental 1" super-tweeter that I would like to try.

That's a good idea, keltic.

As soon as I get the time and opportunity I will compare an 'omni' approach similar to that you've described, the NXT layered sound approach, a rear speaker in Hafler configuration and, inspired by Sretin's postings, perhaps a combo moving coil and non-NXT panel approach.

I would like to experiment with 'ambience' but without messing up the quality of the imaging that I currently enjoy. The Hafler approach is therefore the lowest risk option and is the one that the others will have to beat.

Finding the time is the biggest problem for a small speaker manufacturer. My R & D programme is very full with continued work on enclosure materials and new drive unit development.

7V said:
That's a good idea, keltic.

I would like to experiment with 'ambience' but without messing up the quality of the imaging that I currently enjoy. The Hafler approach is therefore the lowest risk option and is the one that the others will have to beat.

Finding the time is the biggest problem for a small speaker manufacturer. My R & D programme is very full with continued work on enclosure materials and new drive unit development.
This is why you should get a rookie in your workshop, that can cut his teeth and earn his stripes, I know when i was a lad i was making all sorts and i dont know what it is, the young seem to have so much energy! a combo would be best at the moment, but dont get carried away with NXT less is more, i believe, Out of sight out of mind,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.