Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Is it ok to have metal parts close to esl diaphragm?
Is it ok to have metal parts close to esl diaphragm?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2020, 10:32 AM   #1
silvershadelynx is offline silvershadelynx  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Is it ok to have metal parts close to esl diaphragm?

Hi,

I started a new (fourth) ESL DIY project last winter. This will be the first one that has an integrated damping screen. I glued the damping screen on the wooden frame (which holds the stator wires), and on top of the screen I put the pvc spacers. The glue penetrates through the damping screen (mesh) and this bonds to the pvc spacers laying on top of the damping screen.

It seems that the damping screen is glued well to the wood, but the pvc spacers are a little loose. This is not a big problem as both stators (front and rear) will be bolted together, but I want the pvc spacers to be firmly attached to the frame. So I came up with the idea of using screws to attach the pvc spacers to the wooden frame (with the damping screen in between). I would think this is ok as there is no electrical connection between the screws and the diaphragm: the screws will lay a little lower "in" the pvc spacers and I will only apply conductive coating on the moving parts of the diaphragm (not where it overlaps the pvc spacers). I will use a small copper tape to connect to the bias power supply, but this won't overlap / touch the screws (and bolts) either. As in previous models there were not probems using bolts going through the stators and pvc spacers, I would think it is ok to use these extra screws to attach the spacers to the wooden frame?

I hope I explained my situation clearly enough...

Last edited by silvershadelynx; 18th May 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:50 PM   #2
CharlieM is offline CharlieM  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see any problem with using metal fasteners provided there is no conduction path to the diaphragm coating or stator conductors. If you have any doubts; consider using nylon screws/nuts in lieu of metal ones. You can buy nylon screws, nuts, washers, etc... at any Home Depot hardware isle, or find a bigger selection online at McMaster-Carr.

Is it ok to have metal parts close to esl diaphragm?Hide this!Advertise here!