Paper Sandwich ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Return wire for the ribbon. Just aluminium tape, on bitumen.

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_204345.jpg
    IMG_20200602_204345.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 387
Very interesting design. Thanks for the tip regarding transformer type.
I made that "La Folia" panel speaker which was a spin-off project inspired by Apogee / Magnepan in a danish audio magazine about three decades ago.
I remember that i added felt to the magnets and metal bars.
I see that the fine Viawave tweeters have corrugation on the ribbon like horisontal "V" 's.
That may break up longitudinal waves in short ribbons. They also got sealed gaps between ribbon and magnets. (Almost like long BG's). Would that be an idea to pick up by later design for long ribbons?

nice work dude ! they dont look BAAAD. they look very nice and clean!

paper gives so much nice damping characters to the AL. im curious how it works out !

but im also glad i dont need to fight your magnets.. thats way to much for me to handle without blinding myself or squish a finger...... or 2

nice work dude ! they dont look BAAAD. they look very nice and clean!

paper gives so much nice damping characters to the AL. im curious how it works out !

but im also glad i dont need to fight your magnets.. thats way to much for me to handle without blinding myself or squish a finger...... or 2

Speaking of strong magnets, I have two ribbon arrays that have stuck together from placing them too close together one day, SLAM. A row of 50 or so magnets stuck together. I can't seem to pry them apart! Don't want to break anything. Any advice?!

Finally stereo . Good soundstage the 33 mm wide Ribbons, is not a problem in my ears.

Yes Wilbur those Egevang apogee copies :). I took the paper dampning with frome those. Just much lighter ribbon and more powerfull magnets thats only 10mm wide. Is this Better than any planar transducer. Dont know its the best Sound I have made :).I owned the BG 50. This is for sure better sounding

Thanks winnex. The paper do 2 things dampen and make the ribbon super Strong. And that is important, who want's to change the ribbon 10 times a year

Last edited:
The capacitor paper can not be bougth any where. It's frome a factory that closed 20 years ago. The toilet paper work fine. The glue is called kontaktlim in danish. I think the english name is contact glue or adhesive ?. PS the cheapest toilet paper is best. It's the thinnest :)

Last edited:
I got mine from Miflex...meanwhile I found as well capacitor paper in 8um and 12um, so will stark to experiment with glueing...

Thanks for the material hints on the glue, very helpful.

Can you post some more detail picture of the actual ribbon holding mechanismn ? I believe you are using some foam to keep its tension, no ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.