Sizes of ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to embark on a DIY ESL project, I've done quite a bit of reading, but there's one thing I still keep wondering about. The size of the panels. I know the larger, the closer to fullrange they will be, but at some point they get too large, correct? I gather that is so, unless multiple panels are "joined" into one, so to say. And I also know that the spacer width and the DC voltage also affects all this (and efficiency as well), but I just don't want to make them too small to reach down low enough, or too large (since I don't know what would happen if they're too large). I'll be powering them with a 25W amp, so depending on which way you look at it it's either high power or rather low.

I was wondering, if I was going to build a pair to be fullrange, to be filled in with a subwoofer, I would obviously prefer that they would hit under the 100Hz mark, how large should I be aiming then? Is 2' x 6' a realistic measurement? Or is it too small? Or to wide? Ah the joys of embarking on a new project and once again, understanding the basics of a concept but not yet mastering it ;) heh

Either way, if anyone has any pointers on DIY ESLing, I'd love to hear them, I've found a site or two on the matter, but the information is rather sparse, so any online literature would also be welcome (especially pertaining to the ideal size of the panels for fullrange use)

First, decide what you want the polar pattern to look like. Line source? Point source? That will help determine your geometry. Be aware that doing something in-between will sharply limit vertical dispersion and reduce the sweet spot.

Second, decide whether or not you want an external subwoofer- or even a woofer. Roger Sanders is a big advocate of pairing ESL panels with transmission line woofers, but I'm unconvinced; I think dipolar radiation patterns match best with... dipolar radiation patterns.

Third, think about whether or not you want to get fancy; there are some cool tricks you can do with panel segmentation. You don't need a huge area for treble, in fact it's a disadvantage, but you do need square inches for bass.

Fourth, be clear on the relationship between panel size, stator-to-diaphragm spacing, and polarizing/drive voltage. All those things are first-order contributors to how much bass you'll get and at what SPL. The Quad ESL-63 and the new one (I don't remember the model number) are in the size range you're thinking about, and both reach 100Hz with reasonable SPL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.