Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

ESS AMT-1 two way designs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2020, 08:57 PM   #11
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I think with an active crossover and some EQ, the "hole" would not be there. And if a large enough waveguide is used, I think it will be easier to have no holes there.
Old 11th March 2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have had a couple of pairs of the ESS AMT's as well as their little brothers. The Big Heil doesn't sound good crossed at 800Hz. First, it's distortion is very high this low, any modern midrange driver has much lower distortion at 800Hz. Second, the off-axis response of the AMT is all over the place which makes it a difficult match. It has a typical dipole peak and dip around 1-1,5kHz and should only be used above that. Third, when you use it this low with a monopole woofer/midrange you are making a transition from monopole to dipole right in the most sensitive area of your hearing. This is less of an issue when crossed higher. Best sound I have heard out of them was a combination with a dipole mid/woofer on a wide baffle. Some of the off-axis irregularities are less of an issue when the AMT is mounted in a wide baffle. The Big Heil is kind of a double sided mismatched waveguide at best. Despite being a very nice high-frequency driver the original AMT-1 loudspeaker was a pretty bad design and sounded accordingly, don't bother copying it.
Since the Big Heil was only usable from 3 kHz on up IMHO I have abandoned them and went for some smaller ones which have the advantage of better vertical off-axis response. Nevertheless, it is possible to build a very nice sounding system with them as long as you can get around its deficiencies
Old 11th March 2020, 08:49 PM   #13
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Now THIS is the kind of information I was hoping for! This should be archived for sure. We need first hand info like this. I've always read about being able to cross the AMT1 as low as 800hz ... sounds like a dream at first! Then we read this.
I hate so much to say it, but I'm coming to the conclusion the round AMT made by Heil for the Tempest was the giant killer of the bunch. It is monopole of course. It shouldn't really be crossed lower than 2400hz, and prefers 2700hz. But this particular AMT sounds more lifelike than Mundorfs or Arum Cantus do. Sound better than Scan 6400s or Hiquophons to my ears. Amazing for a 50 yr old tweeter!
I'm going to give up my original plans, and keep buying up the round Heil AMTs from Ebay. Thanks everyone.
Old 12th March 2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes, you are right here, the small Tempest tweeter is better than the Big Heil. It does not go as low and sounds a bit smaller but it has got a better top end, it has a more evenly off-axis response, horizontal and vertical. They do sound really good. They have a 3-4dB bump between 8kHz and 12Khz which makes it sound more upfront and dynamic but not in an annoying way. They do need first-class amplification though. If they tend to sound nasty check your amplification first they are very sensitive to it.
All in all, they are truly amazing for such old tweeters, not just good for there age but still up to par with any modern offering. The similar-sized Mundorf's are more refined though but not as dynamic. The Mundorfs are more 'HiFi' while the ess tempest sound more like a crossover between a ribbon and a compression driver. Which one is better depends on system synergy.

ESS AMT-1 two way designsHide this!Advertise here!