Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Aluminum ribbon assembly for Decca Kelly/London tweeters
Aluminum ribbon assembly for Decca Kelly/London tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2020, 06:37 PM   #1
flo777 is offline flo777  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Aluminum ribbon assembly for Decca Kelly/London tweeters

Does anyone know where I can get aluminum ribbon assemblies for Decca Kelly/London tweeters, as shown in the attached image?
The aluminum ribbon in one of the tweeters has rips on the edges
I've tried to email few people from England and Germany who sell these assemblies on their website, but have not heard from them
Alternatively, please let me know if you have the tools to make these ribbons
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribb.jpg (10.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 10th March 2020, 02:33 PM   #2
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have had the same problem. Robert Dawson doesn't answer emails, I have tried many times. Shackmann in Germany did answer emails but at that time they where asking about 150 euro's with shipping for two ribbons which imho is totally ridiculous for a plastic frame with a small piece of aluminium foil.

So I started to roll my own. It's quite easy, see pictures.
The final step is to cut the frame into two by drilling the nails that keep them together. All you have to do is align the new ribbon in the frame. First mark where the old ribbon was, remove it and insert the new one. some small pieces of tape will help. I have clamped the frame together with again with tape, it's going to be pressed together by assembling the driver anyway so no need to use nails.

Don't be afraid to try, you have got nothing to lose. I have done this a couple of times with ordinary household alu-foil of the thin kind. It took me 5 to 6 tries and a bit of frustration to get it right, but nowadays I can repair one in five minutes.
I have a pair of Decca London's, one has the original ribbon, one my with own repair. Apart from a 1,5dB difference in efficiency they do sound the same.

The pictures are just for example offcoarse. You can make much prettier ribbons this way by starting with a clean, flat piece of aluminium and some more care than I did in this 30sec example. It took more time to take the pictures then to cut the foil and roll the ribbon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step 1.JPG (693.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Step 2.JPG (812.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Step 3.JPG (759.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Step 4.JPG (652.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Step 5.JPG (730.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Step 6.JPG (700.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Sjef; 10th March 2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have had the same problem. Robert Dawson doesn't answer emails, I have tried many times. Shackmann in Germany did answer emails but at that time they where asking about 150 euro's with shipping for two ribbons which imho is totally ridiculous for a plastic frame with a small piece of aluminium foil.

So I started to roll my own. It's quite easy, see pictures.
The final step is to cut the frame into two by drilling the nails that keep them together. All you have to do is align the new ribbon in the frame. First mark where the old ribbon was, remove it and insert the new one. some small pieces of tape will help. I have clamped the frame together with again with tape, it's going to be pressed together by assembling the driver anyway so no need to use nails.

Don't be afraid to try, you have got nothing to lose. I have done this a couple of times with ordinary household alu-foil of the thin kind. It took me 5 to 6 tries and a bit of frustration to get it right, but nowadays I can repair one in five minutes.
I have a pair of Decca London's, one has the original ribbon, one my with own repair. Apart from a 1,5dB difference in efficiency they do sound the same.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:34 PM   #4
flo777 is offline flo777  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Sjef, thank you for the details and the photos.
I will attempt to do my own ribbons
I was mainly worried about attaching the ribbons properly to the terminals.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That's the most delicate part indeed, but you'll figure it out. It's like baking pancakes, the first two always fail. One evening of a little frustration but then you have learned it for the next time(s). Alignment goes best with one half of the frame in the magnet assembly and some wooden or plastic tools.
Old 21st March 2020, 07:42 PM   #6
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Aluminum ribbon assembly for Decca Kelly/London tweeters
Can you still buy the plastic rollers for crimping foil?

Aluminum ribbon assembly for Decca Kelly/London tweetersHide this!Advertise here!