Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

New speaker project underway
New speaker project underway Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2020, 03:52 AM   #1
CharlieM is offline CharlieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New speaker project underway

Since October of last year I've been working on my biggest-ever speaker project, and in the coming weeks I will be posting some build photos, as the project nears completion.

Several of my Carver Audio buddies have begged me for years to build and sell them some speakers but up to now I've resisted because building them is exhausting, I'm not young anymore (66), and I still work full time. For better or worse; I've finally agreed to do it.

I'm about 90% done with building four (4) pairs of a hybrid design which uses a 12" woofer in an open baffle (modified H-baffle) configuration. The frames are solid oak and the stators are segmented wire type, supported by an oak lattice. At the end of the video below, a similar speaker which I built two years ago is shown playing-- the new speakers are a refined and slightly slimmer version of that design.

More to come, but for now; here's a video showing the wire stators being built:
YouTube

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg speakers 2.jpeg (793.7 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by CharlieM; 15th February 2020 at 04:10 AM.
Old 15th February 2020, 04:34 AM   #2
wintermute is online now wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I have a feeling these are going to be impressive! The frames look very nice! Note that the video is coming up as private so I can't watch it.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 15th February 2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 15th February 2020, 11:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

More pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1970 copy.jpg (77.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2062 copy.jpg (330.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpeg power supply 2.jpeg (395.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1969 copy.jpg (109.9 KB, 177 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 02:25 PM   #4
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Just watched your video, great work
Iím near Daytona Beach and would love to spend a week or so with you and learn how your doing this
Great work from a great mind
Old 15th February 2020, 02:56 PM   #5
esl 63 is offline esl 63
diyAudio Member

carlthess40, I live in Sweden and i want to spend some weeks or so in Florida building on my new electrostatics. Waiting for a pre-coated mylar film.. :-)
Old 15th February 2020, 05:31 PM   #6
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you have any pics of your builds
Old 15th February 2020, 05:36 PM   #7
clog is offline clog  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Jazzman, amazing craftsmanship, wonderful
Old 15th February 2020, 08:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Do you have any pics of your builds
Yes, on my website here: Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Old 16th February 2020, 12:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Just watched your video, great work
I’m near Daytona Beach and would love to spend a week or so with you and learn how your doing this
Great work from a great mind
I'll let you in on a little secret: Speaker designers love to show them off.
Carl, you have an open invitation to visit me in Savannah most anytime.

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieM; 16th February 2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 16th February 2020, 01:26 AM   #10
gnnett is offline gnnett  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
Hi Charlie

Truly inspiring and do not want to distract you from the build, however I am interested in the panel segmentation you have adopted and how low you are handing off to the dipole base below.

The build video answered some of my questions, and you appear to have 3 identical width panels (independent segments actually I think) within each speaker. The central panel/segment is further divided electrically to yield a central "full range", down to where it crosses to the dipole woofer anyway, segment, with symmetrical segmenting either side for this panel and the adjacent two panel/segments, with progressively reducing hf/mf output.

Having handled a set of Acoustat panels that separated and miraculously I managed to glue back together and get to work again, I am in awe of your timber frames. that look like musical instruments. I am sure these will not be accused of having a "credit card sound", as HP famously once said of the Acoustat 2+2's.

So, my next question relates to just how low you take your panels and do the three sections have the lowest frequencies handled by the panels, or do you further restrict lower mid, or upper bass, on the central section, as Quad did with their admittedly much smaller central HF/MF?

Philosophically I struggle with people who say there is a "doppler" effect of having the same driver providing the "full range" of frequencies. The microphone is not set up to record individual frequencies and what it is recording is a single wave, at any one time, that is a combination of the different frequencies arriving at the microphone. So, separating them out and recombining them after the drivers, is not intuitively the right thing to do, unless your speaker drivers are unable to do full range, which all known drivers are incapable of including ESL's.

What you are doing, I think, is preserving the tracking of the microphone diaphragm, in your central segment of diaphragm, for as much of the frequency range your panel is capable of producing. The adjacent sectors are simply correcting the frequency response of this central segment (a falling MF/LF response), progressively down the frequency range, until finally handing over to the dipole, dynamic driver below.

Again, big ups an this inspiring work.

Regards

Grantn

New speaker project underwayHide this!Advertise here!