BG NEO 10 reborn just better and of unoptanium.

PS Audio has developed an new high end speaker and to get the best sound, have they decided to use the great BG NEO 10 driver, but since it is not made anymore, have they decided to make there own version with some improvements.

I contacted PS Audio sale and what a polite service, but unfortunately did they reply that Paul (CEO) did not wish to start up selling, due to the extra work with distribution, guarantee and so on.

Now is my question, do you think that we can change his mind, maybe by a group buy or by letting one of us, be the internal distributor?

Joseph Crowe, here made a horn for the still avaliable Neo8... it's going law thanks to the horn.
Maybe that helps ?
Saw the bass and upper bass is managed by a mini onken of sort with a cool Fostex driver... google his name.
Okay many thanks, I'll read up on the NEO 8:)

Is there any other driver that match its sound and quality? It would be nice to have more then one alternative:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
There are some others brands if you look for the speakers parts vendors. But chinese B&G droped in quality for a while indeed... concistancy issues of the chinese factory. The array high end model 45 and 50 iirc were good when they used to be US manufactered then problems begun when outsourced in China to reduce costs afaik. Same happens with esl quad panels made in China... Sometimes things are improved when the business suffers thanks to social networks like this bar, unluckillh the worm is already in the apple, few want to risk their money after...so you have to dig up some info about quality changes here and there..

If your goal is a planar with or w/o a horn, one must consider DSP EQ imho to avoid heavy passive filtering...an array of several units may help. There was here some threads about two Neo 8, Neo8S, Neo10 D'Apolitto speakers with RAAL ribons in between.
Anyway, all is about your goals and trade offs... low amp so horn needed and so on...

I am planning on building a modular speaker for acoustic music and classic.
The reason for building a modular system is so I can try to use the speaker in all sorts of ways. Near field, satellites, wall mount, 3 way and yes combined with different drivers.
Is there any way to know if it's an original US or a Chinese version?

There are some others brands if you look for the speakers parts vendors. But chinese B&G droped in quality for a while indeed... concistancy issues of the chinese factory i deed the array high end model 45 and 50 iirc were good when they used to be US manufactered. Same happens with esl quad panels made in China... Sometimes things are improved when the business suffers thanks to social networks like this bar, unluckillh the worm is already in the apple, few want to risk their money after...so you have to dig up some info about quality changes here and there..

If your goal is a planar with or w/o a horn, one must consider DSP EQ imho to avoid heavy passive filtering...an array of several units may help. There was here some threads about two Neo 8, Neo8S, Neo10 D'Apolitto speakers with RAAL ribons in between.
Anyway, all is about your goals and trade offs... low amp so horn needed and so on...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
All chineese afaik.
Imho ypur project is utopic if you plan modularity, versability, but going full range and dsp imho or lttle bookshelves. Where is standing the speaker dictate the choices...
Anyway try also to google a guy in Australia which is selling little ESL pannels already made in a flat pac if your idea is to cover a wide range with a pannel.
Dipoles and most speakers needs to be far the walls, imho 1 meter minimum.
MiniDSP stuffs with multi amps should be your friend in your project... I'm sure you are aware about Li kwitz lab web site of the late Linkwitz (rip)... great ressource to read twice...

You are 100% right, but that is kind of the point:)
What I want to do is to try all the wrong, stupid and strange ideas. Wood is a very cheap material and why not try to learn why something is wrong, what it really do to the sound and so on.
The NEO is a unit you can use in open baffle, a 2 liter box and other, and no matter what, is that unit a fantastic driver with a lot of flexibility.
The DSP solution is a bit foreign to me, I am from the "good old days" where even a tone control were blaspheme:)
No Linkwitz have I never heard about, so I'll visit the page!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nothing should stop you to try... it'a a hobby afterall. The most you know the less you spend time in the workshop and let the trees alone. Dsp can be a tool to save time and monney before swapping to passive if you want. But hard to taalk about versability without multi amp or/and dsp somewhere. Servo controlled sub will save you some time below 100 hz.

Good luck, cool project, often the harder is the monney and carpenter skills...sharing gave a lot of knowledge as far you spent time to learn...

As far as I know the original B&G Neo drivers were made in The Philipines. The design was made by Bohlender & Graebner in the US. B&G was sold to another US company that did not sell to others. Later the B&G returned to OEM. The european distributor dropped them because the new ones, especially the Neo 8, had great spread between samples, needing endless selection to offer them in pairs etc. Now the prices häve been doubled in the US. Maybe to pay for a selection process? It is interesting to read the patents and what did not reach the production. There are some details that could have improved the performance.

if you ask me the company hta Bought B&G, stopped production. prices rised. and now when they are high start producing again... im notm sure if this is soem stunt to get the 150 dollar speaker to sellf for amost 300. i was already discussing with someone there is not reason to buy a company and let it die unless you want to promote ur own product.... or drive the price upwards...

but then again it remains a guessing game :)