Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Ribbon magnet stacking question.
Ribbon magnet stacking question.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2020, 09:37 PM   #1
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon magnet stacking question.

So I assembled my first real ribbon prototype recently and I used two 4 inch long, 1/4 inch thick, 1/2 inch wide magnets on each side and stacked them in series on a metal plate to make them 8 inches long. They sound amazing.

However I didn't notice until later that I stacked the magnets in such a way that the magnetic field is like this

Click the image to open in full size.
I was being dumb and impatient and just let them slide together without thinking about the magnetic orientation.

But then, how are they able to function so well? Wouldn't this cause one half of the ribbon to go up while the other goes down? The ribbon looks like it is moving in a uniform pistonic fashion, I'm quite confused.

Last edited by hellokitty123; 19th January 2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 19th January 2020, 04:25 AM   #2
hellokitty123 is offline hellokitty123  United States
diyAudio Member

If I try to stack them like this

Click the image to open in full size.
they get pushed apart. I'm assuming I need to glue them or something?
Old 19th January 2020, 05:45 AM   #3
DampedAndDriven is offline DampedAndDriven  United States
diyAudio Member

I experimented along these lines too. Using separate magnets on one side that have to be forced together and glued (I used a 'Scotchweld' 2 part epoxy) and surrounded by an aluminum frame (I didn't trust the glue alone)....it ranged from seriously inconvenient to hazardous, with neo mags. If I mess with it again I'll let the magnet manufacturer supply the force: you can find them in 6" long versions at least.

I don't know how to explain performance of your first build but you could try setting up a model in FEMM (2D EM modeling software) or Elmer (3D but a lot harder to work with). Your second diagram is the idea for sure.

Ribbon magnet stacking question.Hide this!Advertise here!