Planar magnetic from Wire to Foil test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I have "foiled" my Tympani IVa mids, I would say that the tension in combination of foil can improve high frequency reproduction. Those models were bass and tweeter sits on the same piece of Mylar (like your MG I) may have too little tension for taking advantage of just foil. I tested my mids yesterday, they need a higher tension than what they had from Magenpan. I will have to start it over... Sure, if the tension is increased, the low end will also be affected but it is in my case tension is too low anyway.

MG I are really old and the Mylar can have lost some tension over the years. I would go for round wire, like the original. I think there are double runs on some parts of the diaghragm and that is not the case in Magnepan's using foil. It is essential to stay close to the original wiring layout. If not, you may end up with a different sounding speaker. You can try to listen from the other side of the speaker. Younger models have the diaphragm facing forward, older ones have the perforated sheet metal with the magnets in front of the diaphragm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.