Planar magnetic from Wire to Foil test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well yes...I have the MG3a,MG2.5r,the MG2c....these are 6' tall but these MG1c with the legs we all have love to hate....lean back sound vary good...I like stock sound best + there ezer to drive...I am a all tube amp panel guy today.

Over 5 years ago I got this QR foil....for repires an to put this foil in a pr of MG1.4 all wire two ways...that's tweeter was out....did not work well vary low output..I posted about my findings on this foil years ago.....

This old Wire type panels rocks...long as its mylr an wire..is playing out the back.

Here a pic of the foil not vary good .I well try to get a better pic..you can see it been handeled an twested a lot it dosen not breat ezey…..an if I were making-saleing panels...I would have to have them work...pure foil well break ezey...just look at Magnepan true ribbon tweere...small wind can rip it up

the true ribbon supposed to be 4 micron. so yeah that breaks easily. bass foil in QR is at least 40 or even 80 micron, since it is a much longer coil and in the QR's i'ver seen less wide then the tweeter foil.
The tweeter on the other hand would be in the range of 12-25 micron. still a thickness easily handled. it is aluminium what else would it be, it has to be light and aluminium is the only choice. when you keep conductivity and price in mind as well.

if you take a look at how i handle my foil its not breaking that easy either :) its because it is rather hefty stuff

Above 300 hz ? Hihi i hope not :) more like 7 khz forvthe bass panel :)

The tensioned and undriven mylar between the wires/ foil strips mass is a drum. Your sort of right though. 300 hz not an issue in maggie design because the width of that undriven drum skin is small enough.
However I've made a number of protos to see how far those wires/ foil strips could be separated. Go a bit farther ( as it looks like you did in your test? I cant tell really, U may have less space there and are just fine)) and that undriven area starts to show it issues with crossovers around 500 hz 12db/oct. Cant remember exactly but I think with the wires/foil separated by about 1/2 inch undriven space and you see some trouble around 1-2Khz ( depending on diaphragm tension) that can easily be heard.

The reason I tried to spread them out more was to use physically larger magnets that make a larger usable field and thus allow a larger magnet to diaphragm spacing for more pk-pk swing

Last edited:
the true ribbon supposed to be 4 micron. so yeah that breaks easily. bass foil in QR is at least 40 or even 80 micron, since it is a much longer coil and in the QR's i'ver seen less wide then the tweeter foil.
The tweeter on the other hand would be in the range of 12-25 micron. still a thickness easily handled. it is aluminium what else would it be, it has to be light and aluminium is the only choice. when you keep conductivity and price in mind as well.

if you take a look at how i handle my foil its not breaking that easy either :) its because it is rather hefty stuff

Ok....it sounds lifeless to me......never heard any aluminium sound like that...an I have never seen any streach before it brakes...but your working with foils...not me I have no reson not to take your word...
QR shiney on bouth sides...not ezey to get a reading on with a meter..
all these things led me to my conclusion ...I don't like QR sound!...
But your sounds good..like ribbon drivers....even on youtube……....

Pull up some 1.7 on youtube...thay even sound twangy there....
I well say is the old stages layed wast to the new 1.7 all QR speakers...in a min...it was sad...it was like a joke...a $2k joke...but that's in the past...to day I am lov life with my MG1c.s

All I can say keep up the good work with your foil

Last edited:
The tensioned and undriven mylar between the wires/ foil strips mass is a drum. Your sort of right though. 300 hz not an issue in maggie design because the width of that undriven drum skin is small enough.
However I've made a number of protos to see how far those wires/ foil strips could be separated. Go a bit farther ( as it looks like you did in your test? I cant tell really, U may have less space there and are just fine)) and that undriven area starts to show it issues with crossovers around 500 hz 12db/oct. Cant remember exactly but I think with the wires/foil separated by about 1/2 inch undriven space and you see some trouble around 1-2Khz ( depending on diaphragm tension) that can easily be heard.

The reason I tried to spread them out more was to use physically larger magnets that make a larger usable field and thus allow a larger magnet to diaphragm spacing for more pk-pk swing

larger magnets mean bigger those problems. well my magnets are 8mm wide sligtly larger then the ones magnepan uses. but my foil is a tad wider ;) as you can see in teh measurement it becomes a real real problem in the tweeter range. thats why i now still am able to cross the woofers with a 6dB oct filter at 250-300 hz. since the output rises. (open baffle) it crosses more like 800 900 or so.

Ok....it sounds lifeless to me......never heard any aluminium sound like that...an I have never seen any streach before it brakes...but your working with foils...not me I have no reson not to take your word...
QR shiney on bouth sides...not ezey to get a reading on with a meter..
all these things led me to my conclusion ...I don't like QR sound!...
But your sounds good..like ribbon drivers....even on youtube……....

Pull up some 1.7 on youtube...thay even sound twangy there....
I well say is the old stages layed wast to the new 1.7 all QR speakers...in a min...it was sad...it was like a joke...a $2k joke...but that's in the past...to day I am lov life with my MG1c.s

All I can say keep up the good work with your foil

thanks Tyu ill try and seek some 1.7 qr and see what they do. mostly i think they are recorded bad :) but who knows

thanks Tyu ill try and seek some 1.7 qr and see what they do. mostly i think they are recorded bad :) but who knows

Oh I know there recorded bad....like most things on youtube I have found....but I hear the Sound in any of the full QR foil type driver I heard....but Magnepans Sale them like hot cakes....I am happy for them an anyonein to day audio sean.

I just pull out my old Apogee Stages...…..I guess i am the fool to think Magnepan or Anyone could-wood make a speaker like these.Right

Attachments

• 100_0242.jpg
    100_0242.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I just saw the new little ribbon speakers sell for $650 a pair in US. Seems very cheap, to cheap really.
(there is a dealer in Anaheim CA, tempted to ask family to bring me a pair when they fly back home from LAX next week (around euro 800 including taxes, customs and KLM transport).

I rather save the planet and buy from you :) But selling at 325 per speaker seems crazy to me, do they produce in China these days ? 700 euro per speaker seems like a good deal too, not that I am tempted to buy instantly at that price, but not expensive at all, 1400 is minimum wage, something like that, affordable enough I think. I think you better start with tiny tweeters, more profit in those probably.

well you need to sell bulk when go tweeters. not gone happen any faster i think :) but yeah it cant be made for 700 euro. not sure how maggie is doing it recently, i think still all US made. maybe they lose some money on them only to get people hooked. as they say an appetizer.

Well the speaker that's going to Save Magnepan….from going out of Speaker bizZ...saleing Big speakers....that No one wonts any more...Well not a nuff to keep the Doores open Some may say....

The "30.7 for Condo's" ..someone says....after hearing them...

"However the young man immediately picked up on the 30.7 for Condo's overall sound. By saying "it was best sounding Magnepan he had ever heard" I got to talk to him a little bit after said jazz song. I don't know how many Maggies he had heard before or even what speakers he had."

I say Good Luck To Magnepan, God Speed…..

I have my old MG3As with the same "True" ribbon Tweeter....I guess all I need is 4-6ea 6"1/2 drivers an I can diy one like the "30.7 for Condo's" speaker....the true ribbons cost me $200 for new pr....only how will Magnepan make Money....Get $10-20k a pr.....Stay Tuned!

Attachments

• 22f3c870-1ffe-4823-9bf9-7782f2e59b61[1].jpg
    22f3c870-1ffe-4823-9bf9-7782f2e59b61[1].jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.