Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Why aren't ESLs dynamic?
Why aren't ESLs dynamic?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 12:28 AM   #161
mattstat is offline mattstat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJ View Post
these look like standard dipoles with small baffles that would need a lot of power. With two large woofers they can get away with this approach. How the configuration creates deeper nulls is not clear to me.
They actually have 4 woofers. What that accomplishes in practice, I can't say.

Legacy Audio Whisper loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
The main portion of the speaker consists of two baffles, mounted 2ľ" apart. The rear baffle holds the second set of open-air woofers, which are mounted back-to-front; the front baffle holds the front woofers, four mid-woofers, and two tweeters.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:32 AM   #162
DrJJ is offline DrJJ
diyAudio Member

Is there a link to the Celetion paper? I'm curious, but i doubt they will have the information I'm looking for.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:34 AM   #163
DrJJ is offline DrJJ
diyAudio Member

mattstat,

Thanks! Clearly I didn't read the web site carefully. I'll have a look at the Stereophile review.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:58 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

The Celestion paper is attached to bolserst's post 17. He talks about some of his experiments and links to a discussion by Linkwitz (who didn't seem that enthused about the setup from a theoretical standpoint).

I've not tried this kind of open compound woofer dipole myself, so can't say what it does or doesn't do.

Legacy Whisper bass?
Old 12th February 2020, 09:46 AM   #165
Pharos is offline Pharos  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJ View Post
mattstat,

Thanks, I think. I have no idea what these mean in terms of the fundamental physics. Do either have any graphs or polar plots (for example) to illustrate what they mean?

Pharos,

Peak limiting I'd think would be set by the drive Xmax, which doesn't change if you use one or two woofers. But you may be right about non-linearities; I just don't know. If that is so, it might help lower the cost of the woofer so that it is competitive with a single, high-quality one. Those can be frighteningly expensive, at least for the best ones.
Surely Xmax is a defined maximum, (a design limitation), rather than that which may be reached by any given drive voltage.

My suggestion was meant to describe the possibility that the woofer may not reach fully the theoretical position for a given drive signal when alone, but being assisted the other, may reach a point nearer to the theoreticallly correct point, a better approximation.
Old 12th February 2020, 06:41 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
Surely Xmax is a defined maximum, (a design limitation), rather than that which may be reached by any given drive voltage.
Xmax is normally pretty easy to get to or exceed without large power inputs if you are running low frequencies for the driver. Depending on how it's specified and how the driver is designed, you can have very good linearity up to it, and decent a bit beyond it.

Xmech, being the maximum mechanical excursion of the suspension, is harder to run up against in typical use with a well designed driver that's not being abused. Xmech that's twice Xmax is pretty common.

Last edited by mattstat; 12th February 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #167
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

Not completely sure but I think by having two drivers spaced apart you end up with a smaller baffle acting like a larger baffle. The dipole baffle cutoff point is a bit lower without having to use a larger baffle width.

I suspect this is its greatest "advantage". A smaller dipole wich would make a dipole more desirable in a world that want smaller speakers

Also by using high mass diaphragms ( compared to stats and planer magnetic s) the diaphragms motion is not as effected by the rear wave that bounces off rear wall an interacts with the diaphragm

I did an experiment once using very high mass planer magnetic diaphragms, probably around 3 to 4 times mass of typical planer diaphragm. These were limp , no tension diaphragms. they were the "fastest " sounding bass transient I ever heard. Like a live drum. The sensitivity was so low it was usless as a marketable product. They were also extreemly well damped. There was more rubber than aluminum in there just to give u an idea of the construction. It was like a sheet of lead hung by its own weight ha

Last edited by lowmass; 13th February 2020 at 03:07 PM.

Why aren't ESLs dynamic?Hide this!Advertise here!