Wiring a Planar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe the general arrangement is as you suspect. The patent application by the designer appears to mainly deal with details of construction, in particular stability of diaphragm tension while using thinner metal frame. But, I am basing that on the provided online English translation which may not be exact. Both attached...

FWIW, I heard them at RMAF last year and they were one of the few rooms I went back to multiple times to hear different types of music. Mids and highs were lovely with surprising amount of heft and definition in the bass range.

thanks,for the read material :)
Looks like almost a copy of the magnepan pictures in there older patents :) must be a patent thing to draw exactly the same. even the bended steel has been done in the first magnepans, in the 70's , and later in b&g patents to. but i guess not so much easy to make the same every time

The Winey/Magnepan and Croft/Graebener/BG patents are old now. Did/do they apply to Europe?

not sure but they did do the exact same thing , and as far as i know nothing new here under the sun. just the same old same. not bad i mean there is only so much you can do. but i laugh at the whole technical stories companies come up with , and end up with the exact same stuff

push pull should gain 6dB in theory, usual 5db is more like realworld. but i think the reason for that is rather big xmax. with tweeters it raised 5db in my designs. about maggies there xmax is more like 1.2 mm spacers are 3.15mm 1-8th inch, and magnets are 2.2 +- mm since rubber is not so potent i think its not possible to make that much bigger, in push pull it should be possible at a cost of efficiency. like 1.5mm xmax and still gain a few db and have a tad higher xmax hence max spl. best benefit is reducing second order harmonics. downside is doing tweeters in this arrangement is hard. cavity resonances become a problem when using push pull as far as i know. depending on the thickness of the magnets :) and the width of the spacing.. but since they are not so potent, spacijng is usually around 1 to 1.5mm between magnets

Can you explain the cavity resonance issues at higher frequencies with push pull systems? Is there a way to damp it out without the use of notch filters?

looking into it once more and im sure they are a bit lying about ther xmax. first of it might he max in theorie. but wont ever hit it .secondly there xmax is stated one way and only in the middle :) as well as the steel does not look at all competent to hold such forces. i tried with 50 feriete magnets, each pulling 4 KG. so times 2 on a push pull.... no ******* way. they pulled it off with that steel with neo's 50 x 4kg x 2 ... erm nope 200-400KG that steel wont take. im pretty sure. as for there magnets that should even be more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.