Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

MDD Multi Delays Diffraction (Multi TL, omnidirectional, single drive, ...)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2019, 04:10 AM   #31
mattstat is offline mattstat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
when foam starts being used as a correction in a loudspeaker design it's time to move on....
Quote:
damping yes.... but in the direct path....sorry not for me...it's just like the "grill on" vs "grill off" debate.
The exact material and its location are of little consequence as long as the benefits outweigh the detriments. Engineering is a series of compromises. To each his own, but having absolutist views on minor things tends to make progress more difficult.

"Newer" Quad ESLs use internal damping in the form of a thin mesh, an external metal mesh, an external Mylar dust cover, and grille cloth. Then of course there's the structure that makes up the driver itself: circuit board that's only about 36% open area and the grid that holds it. That's a lot of stuff in the path, and reviews tend to be quite favorable (other than dynamic limits).

Acoustat used heavy felt pads on the back of many of their electrostatics.

Bohlender Graebener uses internal damping in their planar magnetics.

Several classic speakers used foam grilles.

Everything in moderation.

Last edited by mattstat; 17th October 2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 17th October 2019, 05:00 AM   #32
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If the only BR i had ever heard was a big lumpy one i might not have a positive impression of that kind of box.

dave
Old 17th October 2019, 07:48 AM   #33
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstat View Post
Everything in moderation.

that should include backlash for expressing one's opinion or preference.
Old 17th October 2019, 08:17 AM   #34
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hehe, true. When they are expressed emphatically sometimes it's hard to tell that they are meant to be taken as merely opinions, we can only read what is written.
Old 18th October 2019, 08:12 PM   #35
mattstat is offline mattstat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
that should include backlash for expressing one's opinion or preference.
Since I was one of the people that suggested the addition of damping to tame the resonances, you were essentially calling my idea a bad one. I provided some examples to refute that, included a "to each his own" disclaimer, took no absolutist positions, and tried to carefully explain my view. That's backlash?

Are we here to discuss ideas, present data, and help people with their projects, or is this just about broadcasting opinions? If it's the latter, it's of little interest to me.

Last edited by mattstat; 18th October 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 20th October 2019, 09:46 PM   #36
claudiogan is online now claudiogan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default On "move on" move on

On "move on" move on. I have use the last posts to increase my low level english. I have read backslash (\) indeed was "backlash" (I am a IT teacher).

The first think in my mind reading "move on" was: where? The first phrase on my home page is: "The only loudspeaker enclosure invented in the 21st century". There are two event to confuting it.
1) MDD is not a innovative tecnology.
2) MDD tecnology is not the only.
Thanks if You want report they.

I'm over 60 and cannot move to market the MDD tecnology. It isn't a money problem, is a time problem. A full time work is requied for factory managing, with developping stop. I prefer developping to production, the posts of DiyAudio forum help me to developping.

Texts as " ... a slight push towards aperiodic…" (planet10) are the origin of new points of view for damping on MDD tecnology (under processing).
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #37
claudiogan is online now claudiogan  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have prepared a couple of drawings to clarify how the wavefronts emitted by diffraction with MDD are propagated. They are visible on the acoustic page, on the same page some considerations on the optimization of the response to low and high frequencies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mdd pulse.jpg (133.9 KB, 10 views)

MDD Multi Delays Diffraction (Multi TL, omnidirectional, single drive, ...)Hide this!Advertise here!