An Segmented Hybrid ESL. In the footsteps of Jazzman.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bondsan,
Thanks. Yes exactly the same with a variable PS and display. But as i mentioned are failing. No idea why.

Were you running the bias supplies continuously, or switched with the amps?

I suppose the simple half-wave diode/cap circuit I used has its virtues (cheap and reliable). Before I tried it, I was concerned that the 60Hz ripple might be an issue but it really isn't-- at least not with the few stages I used. They're the same bias supplies I used with my old perf-metal panels and they've been working fine for 11 years now.

Hi keyboard123,

Sorry to hear about your issues withe EMCO power modules. I've had no problems with mine since I installed them a few years ago....but then I'm only feeding them with 10.5_11vdc, and at the voltage they do get fairly warm. Your failures are somewhat surprising since they are actually designed for commercial use so reliability is expected to be good. Some of the wall worts I've used haven't had enough oomph to properly feed the EMCO's so perhaps that could be a weakness ? Wish I knew more about electronics to be more helpful.

Bondsan

Hi keyboard123,

Sorry to hear about your issues withe EMCO power modules. I've had no problems with mine since I installed them a few years ago....but then I'm only feeding them with 10.5_11vdc, and at the voltage they do get fairly warm. Your failures are somewhat surprising since they are actually designed for commercial use so reliability is expected to be good. Some of the wall worts I've used haven't had enough oomph to properly feed the EMCO's so perhaps that could be a weakness ? Wish I knew more about electronics to be more helpful.

Bondsan

Hi Bondsan,
They are rated at 15VDC input and the first failed at that voltage, its replacement is running at 11.0vdc and warm , the second failed at 12vdc. go figure. An as you mentioned , are meant for industrial use. I'm using a power supply as in the picture to supply them.

Attachments

• PS.JPG
    PS.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.